The Heli-Tie™ is a stainless-steel helical tie used to anchor building façades to structural members or to stabilize multiple-wythe brick walls. The helical design allows the tie to be driven quickly and easily into a predrilled pilot hole (or embedded into mortar joints in new construction) to provide a mechanical connection between a masonry façade and its backup material or between multiple wythes of brick. As it is driven, the fins of the tie undercut the masonry to provide an expansion-free anchorage that will withstand tension and compression loads. The Heli-Tie wall tie is installed using a proprietary setting tool that is used with an SDS-Plus shank rotohammer to drive and countersink the tie. Heli-Tie wall ties performs in concrete and masonry as well as wood and steel studs.
- Installs quickly and easily- With the rotohammer in drill and hammer mode the tie installs faster than competitive products.
- Provides an inconspicuous repair that preserves the appearance of the building. After installation the tie is countersunk up to 1/2" below the surface, allowing the tie location to be patched.
- Corrosion resistant stainless steel.
- Larger core diameter provides higher torsional capacity resulting in less deflection due to "uncoiling" under load.
- Fractionally sized anchor - no metric drill bits required.
- Patented manufacturing process results in a more uniform helix along the entire tie allowing easier driving and better interlock with the substrate.
- Batch number printed on every tie for easy identification and inspection.
Type 304 stainless steel (316 available by special order, contact Simpson Strong-Tie for details)
- CSA A370
Heli-Tie Product Data
Special order lengths available, contact Simpson Strong-Tie for details.
Heli-Tie™ Fastener Installation Tool -
Required for correct installation of Heli-Tie wall ties. Speeds up installation and automatically countersinks the tie into the façade material. The updated one-piece design with no moving parts drastically reduces the cost of the tool, improves longevity and prevents the Heli-Tie fasteners from jamming. Installation tools sold separately.
Heli-Tie™ Wall Tie Tension Tester -
Recommended equipment for on-site testing to accurately determine load values in any specific structure. The Heli-Tie wall tie tension tester features a key specifically designed to grip the Heli-Tie fastener and provide accurate results. Replacement test keys sold separately (Model HELIKEY37A).
- Drill pilot hole through the façade material and to the specified embedment depth + 1" in the backup material using appropriate drill bit(s). Drill should be in rotation only mode when drilling into soft masonry or into hollow backing material.
- Position blue end of the Heli-Tie™ fastener in the installation tool and insert the tie into the pilot hole.
- With the SDS-PLUS rotohammer in rotation and hammer mode, drive the tie until the tip of the installation tool enters the exterior surface of the masonry and countersinks the tie below the surface. Patch the hole in the façade using a color-appropriate material.