Anchor Designer™ Software
The Strong-Bolt® is a wedge anchor specifically designed for optimum performance in both cracked and uncracked concrete; a requirement that the 2009 IBC places on post-installed anchors. Rigorously tested according to the latest industry-wide criteria, the Strong-Bolt anchor is proven to offer increased reliability in the most adverse conditions, including performance in cracked concrete under static and seismic loading. The proprietary tri-segmented clip has dual undercutting embossments on each segment which enable secondary or "follow-up" expansion if a crack forms and intersects the anchor location. This significantly increases the ability of the Strong-Bolt wedge anchor to carry load if the hole opened slightly due to a crack. The Strong-Bolt anchor sets like a standard wedge anchor and is available in Imperial fractional sizes.
GALLERY: roll over images below to see larger image
- Tri-segmented clip: Each segment is able to adjust independently increasing follow-up expansion should the hole increase in size as a result of a crack.
- Dual embossments on each clip segment: Allows the clip to undercut into the concrete increasing follow-up expansion should a crack occur.
- 316 stainless steel clip: In addition to superior corrosion resistance, a stainless steel clip offers better "memory". This memory contributes to the anchor's performance should the hole size increase due to a crack.
- Imperial fractional sized anchor: Fits most fixtures and installs with common drill bits sizes and tools. No need to buy additional tools to install a metric anchor and no special couplers needed.
- Installs like a standard wedge anchor: No complicated installation procedure. No need for special bits or installation tools.
- The head is stamped with the Simpson Strong-Tie® "≠" sign and size ID for easy post installation identification
Carbon-steel stud with 316 stainless steel clip.
The load tables list values based upon results from the most recent testing and may not reflect those in current code reports. Where code jurisdictions apply, consult the current reports for applicable load values.
The Strong-Bolt wedge anchor has been tested in accordance with the ICC-ES's Acceptance Criteria for Mechanical Anchors in Concrete Elements (AC193) and ACI 355.2 for the following:
- Static tension and shear loading in cracked and uncracked concrete
- Seismic and wind loading in cracked and uncracked concrete
- Performance in cracked concrete
Vibratory Load Testing: A 150 lb. concrete block was suspended from a 1/2 " diameter anchor embedded at
Do not use an impact wrench to set or tighten the Strong-Bolt anchor.
For Installation Information and Additional Data, click here.
- Interior environment where low levels of moisture and corrosive chemicals are present.
Wedge anchors shall be an imperial-sized steel threaded stud with an integral cone expander and a three-segment expansion clip. The stud shall be manufactured from carbon steel and the expansion clip shall have two undercutting embossments per segment and be manufactured from 316 stainless steel. The anchor shall have been tested and qualified for performance in cracked concrete per ACI 355.2 and ICC-ES AC193. Anchors shall be Strong-Bolt® wedge anchors from Simpson Strong-Tie, Pleasanton, CA, and be installed following Simpson Strong-Tie instructions.
Length Identification Head Marks on Strong-Bolt Anchors
(corresponds to length of anchor – inches)
Strong-Bolt Anchor Product Data
- The published length is the overall length of the anchor.
- Allow one anchor diameter for the nut and washer thickness plus the fixture thickness when selecting a length.
- Zinc meets ASTM B 633, Class SC 1 (Fe / Zn 5), Type III