*Illustrative Procedure (reference Strong- Bolt™ 2 Tension Strength Design Data Table):
Strong-Bolt® 2, 1/2"-diameter with an effective embedment depth, hef = 3 3/8".
- Single anchor.
- Tension load only.
- Concrete assumed to remain uncracked for the life of the anchorage.
- Load combinations taken from ACI 318 Section 9.2 (no seismic loading).
- 30% Dead Load (D) and 70% Live Load (L); Controlling load combination is 1.2D + 1.6L. Calculation of a based on weighted average: α = 1.2D + 1.6L = 1.2(0.3) + 1.6(0.7) = 1.48.
- Normal weight concrete with f'c = 2,500 psi.
- ca1 = ca2 ≥ cac
- Concrete thickness, h ≥ hmin
- Values are for Condition B (supplementary reinforcement in accordance with ACI 318 D.4.4 is not provided.)
Step 1: Calculate steel strength in tension in accordance with ACI 318 D.5.1; φsaNsa = 0.75 x 12,100 = 9,075 lbs.
Step 2: Calculate concrete breakout strength in tension in accordance with ACI 318 D.5.2; φcbNcb = 0.65 x 7,440 = 4,836 lbs.
Step 3: Calculate pullout strength in tension in accordance with ACI 318 D.5.3; φpNp, uncr = 0.65 x 5,255 = 3,416 lbs.
Step 4: The controlling value from Steps 1, 2, and 3 above in accordance with ACI 318 D.4.1.2; φNn = 3,416 lbs.
Step 5: Divide the controlling value by the conversion factor a as determined in footnote 5;
Tallowable,ASD = φNn/α = 3,416 / 1.48 = 2,305 lbs.
The edge distance, spacing and member thickness requirements in the Strong-Bolt® 2 Installation Information Table apply to a single anchor and anchor groups.