Strong-Drive® Screw Installation for LVL, PSL
Simpson Strong-Tie® Strong-Drive screws
(SDS) screws are an easy-to-install method for joining multiple SCL members to make a beam.
Also see SDW Strong-Drive® Structural Wood Screws, specifically designed for fastening multi-ply engineered lumber products.
- No pre-drilling required.
- See illustrations for SDS positioning on different assemblies.
- SDS screws install best with a low speed 1/2" drill with a 3/8" hex head driver.
- Do not over-drive the SDS screws.
- SDS allowable load values are from ICC ESR-2236. The Designer shall apply adjustment factors per the NDS. Loads shown are CD = 1.0. Increase as
allowed per code to a maximum CD = 1.60.
- The load table below assumes Douglas Fir-Larch values
(G = 0.5), as per the LVL, PSL and LSL manufacturer's instructions.
- The designer shall specify the location of all screws (stagger screws on opposite faces). Minimum recommended spacing - Wide Face: end distance 4", edge distance 1 1/2", spacing parallel to grain 4", spacing perpendicular to grain 2".
- Uniform loads in the table below are based on the capacity of the fasteners to transfer loads between plies. The capacity of the beam may be less and should be checked by a qualified Designer or with the manufacturer’s literature.
- LSL applications that require 4 1/2" and 6" screws (Assembly B2, C and F) are limited to interior-dry use only.