Territory Sales Representative
Vancouver, BC area
Be A Maker
At Simpson Strong-Tie, there’s a common thread connecting the people who work here: the drive to make things better and figure out how to get it done. We call it the Maker mindset. For over 60 years, our employees have fostered a collaborative workplace where people are engaged in creative thinking from the first day on the job onward. No matter what role you’re in — from production, to sales, to engineering — you’ll contribute to the growth and success of the company by having a Maker mindset.
When you think of the best a family has to offer — support, collaboration and respect — that’s what we value. When there’s a win, we’ll cheer you on. When there’s a snag, coworkers step in to help you out. Working on solutions together is just the way we do things here, and that creates an atmosphere that often feels like home.
You’ll work alongside talented, passionate, dedicated, humble and genuinely kind people who are all contributing to our shared mission: to provide solutions that help people design and build safer, stronger structures. It's this mission and our strong people–focused values that have made Simpson Strong–Tie a unique place to work — a place where you can connect, create and build your career. We invite you to learn more about our culture and why our employees are our most loyal customers.
You want to be an important member of a strong team of other makers who take pride in their work and support each other. As the Territory Sales Representative (TSR)— Commercial, you will be responsible for growing Commercial sales in the British Columbia (BC) territory. You will coordinate with and contribute to the overall branch and company efforts to profitably grow our business. The Commercial market segment encompasses sales to any company that may use Simpson products in the commercial construction market. You will be responsible for sales of all Simpson product lines based on customer needs, competition, and market potential and help formulate and execute the business strategy in your territory. You will also lead and participate in training sessions/workshops in and out of the territory. These workshops require scheduling, promotion, set-up, presentation, and take–down, as well as providing observation and suggestions for improvement. You will work with Regional Sales Managers, Product Management, Marketing, and other TSRs to develop/coordinate sales strategies and programs; and communicate appropriate market trends and field intelligence to provide to Management and Operations to ensure customer satisfaction.
If career growth is important to you, we not only know how to help you with that, it’s what we love to do.
What You’ll Be Doing
|% Time||Job Responsibilities|
|65%||Drive demand and grow sales of all Simpson product lines in the defined marketplace. This includes being active on jobsites, prospecting, conducting sales calls, identifying opportunities, giving presentations including hands on demonstrations, training, and repairing tools. Analyze industry and market needs and develop the appropriate strategies, forecast territory demand, and provide support as needed by the customer and/or company. Assist in securing and maintaining product specifications from structural engineers and other specifiers.|
|20%||Develop and maintain key relationships with customers, as well as managing supply chain relationships with channel partners. Provide ongoing training sessions, product demos and technical support and be a problem solver for customers. Understand customers’ pricing structure.|
|10%||Promote Simpson Strong-Tie as an industry partner and potential employer; participate in tradeshows, association meetings and various committees and/or causes; provide educational opportunities in classroom settings throughout your territory including but not limited to suppliers, specifiers, building officials, contractors, and homeowners.|
|5%||Other duties and responsibilities, including but not limited to, consistent CRM management and usage, scheduling, business planning, submitting expense reports in a timely manner, regular maintenance of company-owned vehicles, and other duties as assigned.|
Desired Skills and Experience
If you can do everything listed above, you’ve got what it takes. Perhaps some of the following would be helpful too:
- 3–5 years of servicing contractors, distributors, engineers, and building departments on construction product lines preferred.
- 3–5 years of industry experience and/or training. Fluent in commercial construction practices and distribution channels. Must have a strong working knowledge of project workflow from architect/engineer to the contractor. Sales and account management experience with a proven track record of sales/profit growth preferred. Experience selling Concrete anchors and fasteners is an asset for this position.
- Technical: Have the ability to gain product knowledge in order to become a trusted resource for Simpson Products and solutions as well as working with Specialists to provide support as needed.
- Presentation Skills: Ability to develop and present captivating presentations and incorporate sales skills to step a prospect through a story.
- Creative & Innovative Thinking: Ability to exhibit creativity and innovation when contributing to organizational and individual objectives.
- Decision Making & Judgement: Ability to balance analysis, wisdom, experience, and perspective when making decisions.
- Accountability & Dependability: Ability to fulfill all commitments made to peers, co-workers, and supervisor.
- Adaptability & Flexibility: Ability to respond positively to change, embracing and using new practices or values to accomplish goals and solve problems.
- Customer Focus: Ability to build and sustain productive customer relationships.
- Self-Awareness: Ability to find and maximize opportunities for growth and development.
- Proactivity: Ability to identify what needs to be done and take action, when situation requires it.
- Influence: Ability to address issues in an open, constructive, professional manner.
- Organization & Prioritization: Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously as well as quickly reallocate resources in order to respond to changing customer and team member needs.
- Computer/Software/Technology: Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office (including Outlook, Excel, Word and Power Point), Salesforce CRM, SAP ERP, and other industry standard software packages. Ability to learn new systems in a timely manner.
- Computer / Software Skills: Ability to work in a Microsoft software environment, experience in advanced Microsoft Excel, SAP experience is required.
- Problem Solving: Ability to apply critical thinking in identifying information needed to solve a problem effectively, and the ability to streamline and automate complex processes.
- Reporting: Knowledge of internal/external reporting issues and strong understanding of GAAP.
This job requires 40-50% domestic travel.
WORK STATUS & LOCATION
This full–time, exempt position is located in Vancouver, BC area.
Relocation is not available for this position.
Please send a cover letter and resume by June 17, 2022 to Sara Brown
Effective Date: 7/2022
In keeping with the Company’s commitment to the communities in which it does business, we are an equal opportunity employer. This means that to the fullest extent required by local law, employment decisions are based on merit and business needs and not on race, colour, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender (which provincial law may define to include gender identity/expression, transgender identity, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, and gender stereotyping), sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, covered marital status, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Please note all job offers are contingent upon presenting a clean driver’s abstract.