RTUD Ratcheting Take-Up Device
Strong-Rod® ATS Components
This product's information may differ depending on the category of use. You are currently viewing details related to Strong-Rod® ATS Components. You can also view product information related to the category: Strong-Rod® URS Components
The RTUD ratcheting take-up device is a cost-effective wood shrinkage compensation solution for continuous threaded rod systems. The RTUD is rod-diameter specific and allows for unlimited shrinkage. It is hand-installed on top of the BPRTUD (bearing plate), and after the SD9 screws have fastened the take-up device through the bearing plate and into the wood sole plate, the device provides continuous engagement with the rod, enabling the system to perform as designed at all times.
The RUD is now rated as UL-qualified through-penetration firestop systems. The devices received F (flame) and T (temperature) ratings per ASTM E814 when they are installed in conjunction with the Simpson Strong-Tie BPRTUD steel bearing plate (RTUD) or the PL steel bearing plate with top plate and nut (ATUD and TUD), eliminating the need for additional fire resistance material at the hole in the plate.
- Maintains rod-system tightness, allowing it to perform as designed
- Pass-through design provides unlimited shrinkage compensation
- Available for threaded rod of 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 7/8″ and 1" diameters
- Very minimal force required to allow rod to pass through take-up device, so mitigating rod buckling during wood shrinkage
- Corrosion-resistant finish
- The RTUD should be hand-installed until the base of the device fully bears on top of the BPRTUD
- Once the fastener holes are aligned and the RTUD is flush, install the Strong-Drive® fasteners
- Once the RTUD is installed, a series of internal threaded wedges enable the device to ratchet down the rod as the wood structure shrinks, but engage the rod in the reverse direction when under tensile loading
- US Patents R,E48,981; 9,394,706; 8,881,478
RTUD Technical Data
Rod Dia. (in.)
|Dimensions (in.)||Allowable Load
|Seating Increment ΔR
Allowable Load ΔA
|Average Ratcheting Force (lb.)||Compatible
|RTUD3B||3/8||2 3/4||1 1/2||1||5,180||0.044||0.010||20||BPRTUD3-4B||ATS/URS|
|RTUD4B||1/2||2 3/4||1 1/2||1||9,210||0.045||0.003||20||BPRTUD3-4B||ATS/URS|
|RTUD5||5/8||3 7/8||2||1 3/8||14,495||0.056||0.007||20||BPRTUD5-6, 5-8||ATS/URS|
|RTUD6||3/4||3 7/8||2||1 3/8||20,830||0.057||0.010||15||BPRTUD5-6, 5-8||ATS/URS|
|RTUD7||7/8||4 1/2||2 1/4||2||28,185||0.059||0.012||30||BPRTUD7-8, 5-8||ATS/URS|
|RTUD8||1||4 1/2||2 1/4||2||36,815||0.066||0.031||30||BPRTUD7-8, 5-8||ATS/URS|
- The F-rating criteria prohibits flame passage through the system and requires acceptable hose-stream test performance.
- The T-rating criteria prohibits flame passage through the system and requires the maximum temperature rise on the unexposed surface of the wall or floor assembly, on the penetrating item and on the fill material not to exceed 325°F above ambient, and requires acceptable hose-stream test performance.
- The L-rating criteria determines the amount of air leakage in cubic feet per minute per square foot of opening (CFM/sq.ft.) or in cubic feet per minute per unit (CFM/unit) for fixed-size opening units, through the firestop system at ambient and /or 400°F air temperatures at an air-pressure differential of 0.011 psi. L-rating listed is for both ambient temperature and at 400°F.
Code Reports & Compliance