WBAC Wood Backing Steel Connector
The WBAC wood backing steel connector is the ideal solution for connecting wood backing to cold-formed steel studs. Perfect for cabinets, shelves, handrails, heavy wall hangings and more, this versatile connector installs easily and provides tested strength. The WBAC is designed to eliminate alignment issues and reduce installation time. Since stiffness and strength are critical for these applications, the fastening pattern into both steel and wood has been engineered to optimize performance.
- Simple installation using prepunched holes allowing the same screw to be used for both wood backing and stud attachment
- Not limited to just a 1 5/8" flange, the WBAC has been tested to accommodate 1 1/4" flanges, 1 5/8" flanges and 2" flanges
- Works for any stud spacing, predetermined or typical stud spacing not required
- Sight lines to guide installation alignment
- Unique rolled support bottom tabs provide extra strength and stiffness
- Galvanized (G90)
- Attach to grade lumber or 5/8" fire-rated board
- Use WBAC162 for 1 1/4" and 1 5/8" flanges, and WBAC200 for 2" flanges
- Drywall stud (1 1/4" flange): Align top of connector with markings and attach using (4) #8-18 modified truss-head self-drilling screws to stud flange and (3) #8-18 modified truss-head screws to each wood block
- Structural studs (1 5/8" and 2" flange): Attach using (4) #8-18 modified truss-head SDS screws [(2) to stud flange, (1) to lip, and (1) to web] and (3) #8-18 modified truss-head screws to each wood block
- Testing performed in accordance with ICC-ES AC261
Product Information Table
|Model No.||Thickness (mil)||Ga.||W1 (in.)||W2 (in.)||H (in.)||Coating/Material||Packaging Qty.|
|WBAC162-R50||33||20||1 21/32||4 1/8||6||Zinc Galvanized, G90||50|
|WBAC200-R50||33||20||2 1/32||4 1/8||6||Zinc Galvanized, G90||50|
Allowable Loads on Blocking Supported by WBAC (lb.)
- Allowable loads may not be increased for wind or seismic load.
- Allowable loads are the lower of tested ultimate load with a safety factor, load at 1/8" deflection (u.o.n.), or fastener calculation limits in accordance with ICC-ES AC261.
- Fasteners to stud and wood blocking are #8-18 (3/4" min. long) modified truss-head screws.
- Wood blocking may be any species of solid sawn or engineered lumber with a minimum specific gravity of 0.42.
- Listed capacities do not consider the resistance of the gypsum board. The WBAC connector installed with 5/8" gypsum may be increased by a factor of 1.15, 1.15, and 1.35 for F2 @ 1/8" deflection, F4 @ 0" offset, and F4 @ 3" offset, respectively.
- F3 is limited to an allowable capacity of 175 lb. with (3) #8-18 (3/4" long) modified truss screws to each wood block or 260 lb. with (3) #8-18 (1" long). F3 tests do not consider resistance of gypsum board.
- F4 may be interpolated between offset 0" and 3".
- F2, F3 and F4 loads assumed to act at 1/4 point of wood blocking.
- For combined loading, use (F2 @ Strength) and a linear interaction.
Code Reports & Compliance