CC/ECC/ECCU Column Caps
On This Page
Column caps provide a strong connection for column-beam combinations.
- CC3 1/4, CC44, CC46, CC48, CC4.62, CC64, CC66, CC68, CC6-7 1/8, ECC3 1/4, ECC44, ECC46, ECC48, ECC4.62, ECC64, ECC66, ECC68, ECC6-7 1/8 — 7 gauge; all others — 3 gauge
- Simpson Strong-Tie gray paint. Some products available in HDG, stainless steel or black powder coat; CCO, ECCO — no coating.
- Use all specified fasteners; see General Notes
- Bolt holes shall be a minimum of 1/32" to a maximum of 1/16" larger than the bolt diameter (per 2015/2018 NDS, section 22.214.171.124)
- Contact engineered wood manufacturers for connections that are not through the wide face
- Straps may be rotated 90° where W1 ≥ W2 (see illustration) and for CC5 1/4-6.
- For special, custom, or rough-cut lumber sizes, provide dimensions. An optional W2 dimension may be specified. (The W2 dimension on straps rotated 90° is limited by the W1 dimension.)
- CCO/ECCO — column cap only (no straps) may be ordered for field welding to pipe or other columns. CCO/ECCO dimensions are the same as CC/ECC. Weld by Designer.
- CCOB — any two CCOs may be specified for back-to-back welding to create a cross beam connector. Use the table loads; the load is no greater than the lesser element employed.
For stainless-steel fasteners, see Fastener Types and Sizes Specified for Simpson Strong-Tie Connectors.
- Uplift loads have been increased for earthquake or wind loading with no further increase allowed. Reduce where other loads govern.
- Downloads shall be reduced where limited by allowable loads of the post.
- CC uplift loads do not apply to splice conditions.
- Splice conditions with CCs must be detailed by the Designer to transfer tension loads between spliced members by means other than the column cap.
- Column sides are assumed to be aligned in the same vertical plane as the beam sides. CC4.62 models assume a minimum 3 1/2"-wide post.
- Structural composite lumber columns have sides that show either the wide face or the edges of the lumber strands/veneers known as the narrow face. Values in the tables reflect installation into the wide face. See technical bulletin T-C-SCLCLM for load reductions resulting from narrow-face installations.
- Beam depth must be at least as tall as H1.
- CCO and ECCO welded to a steel column will achieve maximum load listed for the beam and the post cap as CC and ECC. The steel column width shall match the beam width. Weld by designer.
- All references to bolts are for structural quality through bolts (not lag screws or carriage bolts) equal to or better than ASTM A307, Grade A.
Code Reports & Compliance