CCO Column Cap Only
The CCO is designed to provide strong column-beam connections on top of steel columns. The column cap features a design without legs enabling a field-welded attachment to steel columns and posts. The seat of the column cap provides additional surface area for bearing that extends beyond each side of the column. This helps to distribute the load from the beam and provide support for the connection.
- Uplift loads increased for earthquake or wind loading
- Bolt spacing that meets NDS code requirements to ensure optimal performance
- Diamond holes to provide temporary fastening
- CCO3 1/4 , CCO4, CCO4/6, CCO4.62, CCO5 1/4, CCO6 — 7 gauge; all others — 3 gauge
- No coating. Some models available in HDG; see Corrosion Information.
- Use all specified fasteners; see General Notes
- Weld by designer
- Bolt holes shall be a minimum of 1/32" to a maximum of 1/16" larger than the bolt diameter (per 2018 NDS, section 220.127.116.11); bolt holes should be drilled from one side all the way through the beam to maintain hole tolerances
- Contact engineered wood manufacturers for connections that are not through the wide face
- For special, custom or rough-cut lumber sizes, provide dimensions.
- CCO may be ordered for field welding to pipe or other columns. Weld by designer.
For stainless-steel fasteners, see Fastener Types and Sizes Specified for Simpson Strong-Tie Connectors.
|Model No.||Beam Width (in.)||Dimensions (in.)||Bolts||Allowable Loads (DF/SP)|
|CCO3 1/4||3 1/8||3 1/4||3 5/8||11||6 1/2||5/8||4||7,565||21,485|
|CCO4||3 1/2||3 5/8||3 5/8||7||4||5/8||2||3,555||24,065|
|CCO4/6||3 1/2||3 5/8||5 1/2||11||6 1/2||5/8||4||7,675||24,065|
|CCO4.62||4 1/2||4 5/8||3 5/8||11||6 1/2||5/8||4||7,875||30,940|
|CCO5 1/4||5 1/8||5 1/4||3 5/8||13||8||3/4||4||8,750||35,235|
|CCO6||5 1/4, 5 1/2||5 1/2||3 5/8||11||6 1/2||5/8||4||7,900||37,815|
|CCO7||6 3/4||6 7/8||3 5/8||13||8||3/4||4||8,150||48,265|
|CCO7 1/8||7||7 1/8||3 5/8||13||8||3/4||4||8,165||57,750|
|CCO8||7 1/2||7 1/2||3 5/8||13||8||3/4||4||8,190||51,565|
|CCO9||8 3/4||8 7/8||3 5/8||13||8||3/4||4||8,240||62,565|
|CCO10||9 1/4||9 1/2||5 1/2||13||8||3/4||4||8,260||65,315|
- Uplift loads have been increased for earthquake or wind loading with no further increase allowed. Reduce where other loads govern.
- Downloads shall be reduced where limited by allowable loads of the post.
- Uplift loads do not apply to splice conditions.
- Splice conditions with CCOs must be detailed by the designer to transfer tension loads between spliced members by means other than the column cap.
- HSS column width should match beam width. CCO4.62 may use 3 1/2″ HSS, CCO6 may use 5″ HSS, and CCO8 may use 7″ HSS.
- HSS minimum column depth shall be 3″ for W2 = 3 5/8 and 4″ for W2 > 3 5/8″.
- HSS column and weld by designer.
- Beam depth must be at least as tall as H1.
- All references to bolts are for structural quality through bolts (not lag screws or carriage bolts) equal to or better than ASTM A307, Grade A.
Code Reports & Compliance