LGU Light Girder Face-Mount Hanger
On This Page
The LGU is a girder hanger designed for use with Strong-Drive® SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws to make installation fast and easy, without predrilling. This face-mount hanger can be used for retrofit on the framing members after they are temporarily placed in position. The LGU is available skewed up to 45° or with one flange concealed.
- Available in many sizes for glulam or structural composite lumber
- LGU-series hangers are fire-resistant F (flame) and T (temperature) rated in Intertek Design No. SST/WPCF 120-01
- 10 gauge
- Galvanized. Some models available in HDG; see Corrosion Information.
- Use all specified fasteners; see General Notes.
- Install with 1/4" x 2 1/2" Strong-Drive SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws, which are provided with the GU series. (Note: lag screws will not achieve the same loads.)
- Alternatively, the 1/4" x 2 1/2" Strong-Drive SDS face screws supplied with these hangers may be replaced with 1/4" x 3 1/2" SDS or 1/4" x 5" SDS screws for two-ply or three-ply LVL headers to transfer the hanger load to all plies. This alternate fastener option does not eliminate the need for uniform fastener requirements along the length of the multi-ply header.
- All multiple members must be fastened together to act as a single unit.
- Multiple member headers may require additional fasteners at the hanger locations. The quantity and location of the additional fasteners must be determined by the designer.
- Hot-dip galvanized available. Order as “X” version; specify HDG.
- Other seat widths available. Order as “X” version; specify width.
- Available with one flange concealed. Specify flange to conceal.
- On LGU with W 3 1/4" or less, flanges cannot be concealed.
- Allowable loads for one-flange-concealed option: 1.00 of published load
- Available skewed up to 45°.
- Concealed flanges are not available with skewed models.
- Apply reduction factors to published loads based on the Reduction Factors for Skewed LGU table below.
Product Information Table
|Model No.||Joist Size||Ga.||W (in.)||H (in.)||B (in.)||Coating/Material||Packaging Qty.|
|LGU3.25-SDS||3 1/8||10||3 1/4||8 – 30||4 1/2||Zinc Galvanized, G90||1|
|LGU3.63-SDS||3 1/2||10||3 5/8||8 – 30||4 1/2||Zinc Galvanized, G90||1|
|LGU5.25-SDS||5 1/8||10||5 1/4||8 – 30||4 1/2||Zinc Galvanized, G90||1|
These products are available with additional corrosion protection.
|Actual Carried Beam Width (in.)||Model No.||Ga.||Dimensions (in.)||SDS Fasteners||Allowable Loads|
|W||Min. H||Max. H||B||ha||a||Face||Joist||DF/SP||SPF/HF|
|3 1/8||LGU3.25-SDS||10||3 1/4||8||30||4 1/2||7 3/8||3 1/4||(16) 1/4" x 2 1/2"||(12) 1/4" x 2 1/2"||5,555||6,720||7,310||4,775||4,800||5,220|
|3 1/2||LGU3.63-SDS||10||3 5/8||8||30||4 1/2||7 3/8||3 1/4||(16) 1/4" x 2 1/2"||(12) 1/4" x 2 1/2"||5,555||6,720||7,310||4,775||4,800||5,220|
|5 1/8||LGU5.25-SDS||10||5 1/4||8||30||4 1/2||7 3/8||3 1/4||(16) 1/4" x 2 1/2"||(12) 1/4" x 2 1/2"||5,555||6,720||7,310||4,775||4,800||5,220|
- Uplift loads have been increased for earthquake or wind loading with no further increase allowed. Reduce where other loads govern.
- Header height shall be greater than or equal to flange height (ha).
- SDS screws are Simpson Strong-Tie® Strong-Drive® SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws. For additional information, see Fastener Types and Sizes Specified for Simpson Strong-Tie Connectors.
Reduction Factors for Skewed LGU
|Model||Seat Width||Carried Member End Condition|
|Square Cut||Bevel Cut|
Code Reports & Compliance