THA/THAC Adjustable Truss Hangers
The THA series have extra long straps that can be field-formed to give height adjustability and top-flange hanger convenience. THA hangers can be installed as top-flange or face-mount hangers.
THA4x and THA2x-2 models feature a dense nail pattern in the straps, which provides more installation options and allows for easy top-flange installation.
- Galvanized. Some products available in ZMAX® coating. See Corrosion Information.
- Use all specified fasteners; see General Notes.
The following installation methods may be used:
- Top-Flange Installation — The straps must be field formed over the header — see table for minimum top-flange requirements. Install top and face nails according to the table. Top nails shall not be within 1/4" from the edge of the top-flange members. For the THA29, nails used for joist attachment must be driven at an angle so that they penetrate through the corner of the joist and into the header. For all other top-flange installations, straighten the double-shear nailing tabs and install the nails straight into the joist.
- Face-Mount Installation — Install all face nails according to the table. Not all nail holes will be filled on all models. On models where there are more nail holes than required, the lowest four face holes must be filled. Nails used for the joist attachment must be driven at an angle so that they penetrate through the corner of the joist into the header.
- Alternate Installation — The THA 4x hangers may be installed in a top-flange configuration using the tabulated fasteners for face-mount installation and achieve the face-mount installation loads. Install the tabulated face nails into the face and top of the carrying member. Nails used for the joist attachment must be driven at an angle so that they penetrate through the corner of the joist into the header.
- Uplift — Lowest face nails must be filled to achieve uplift loads.
- THA hangers available with the header flanges turned in for 3 5/8" (except THA413) and larger, with no load reduction — order THAC hanger.
These products are available with additional corrosion protection. Additional products on this page may also be available with this option, check with Simpson Strong-Tie for details.
- Uplift has been increased 60% for wind or earthquake loading with no further increase allowed; reduce where other loads govern.
- Wind (160) is a download rating.
- For single 4x2 top chord carrying members or single 2x nailers, the following THA hangers can be installed using 10d x 1 1/2" top nails and (2) 16d face nails with reduced allowable loads as noted: THA418/THA422: 1,415 lb. for DF/SP, 1,215 lb. for SPF; THA426: 2,245 lb. for DF/SP, 1,930 lb. for SPF; THA422-2/THA426-2: 2,345 lb. for DF/SP, 2,015 lb. for SPF. Loads are based on hanger installations at panel points.
- Face-mount installation loads are based on minimum of 2-ply 2x carrying member. For single 2x carrying members, use 10d x 1 1/2" nails into the carrying member and tabulated fasteners into the carried member, and use 0.80 of the table value for 18 gauge, and 0.68 of the table value for 16 gauge and 14 gauge.
- Min. Top Flange refers to the minimum length of strap that must be field formed over the header.
- For the THA 2x models, one strap may be installed vertically according to the face mount nailing requirements and the other strap wrapped over the truss chord according to the top flange nailing requirements (see drawing Typical THA29 - Top Flange Installation below) and achieve full tabulated top flange installation loads.
- Nails: 16d = 0.162" dia. x 3 1/2" long, 10d = 0.148" dia. x 3" long, 10d x 1 1/2" = 0.148" dia. x 1 1/2" long.
See other nail sizes and information.
Top Flange Installation