THGBV Truss Hanger for Girders, Bolted or Screwed
On This Page
The THGBV is a bolted hanger designed for connecting multi-ply structural composite lumber (SCL) to girder trusses and attaches to a vertical web to support high loads. The THGBV has options for skewing or dropping the buckets to provide design flexibility for a variety of SCL-to-truss connections. This bolted hanger offers an installation option using Strong-Drive® SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws.
- Can be skewed to a maximum of 45°. The maximum allowable download and uplift load for skew is 0.87 of the table load.
- Backplates can be extended to allow for up to a 6" dropped bucket.
- Available in 9″ and 11″ bucket heights to accommodate a range of SCL sizes.
- 3 gauge
- Simpson Strong-Tie gray paint
- Use all specified fasteners; see General Notes
- All multiple members must be fastened together to act as a single unit
- Maximum 11 7/8" bottom chord in the carrying member to allow for the minimum bolt end distance
- Bolts must be installed symmetrically when fewer than the maximum number of bolts are used on the backplate
- Girders must have adequate lateral bracing to prevent excessive displacement due to secondary torsional stresses (refer to ANSI/TPI 1-2014 Section 184.108.40.206)
- Carrying member must be a minimum two-ply girder truss to allow for required minimum screw penetration
- THGBV hangers can be skewed to a maximum of 45°.
- The maximum allowable download and uplift load for skew is 0.87 of the table load.
- THGBV backplates can be extended to allow for up to a 6" dropped bucket.
- Allowable loads are 100% of the table loads.
- Order as “X” version, specify the total backplate height, BK_PLT, equal to the hanger height (H) plus the dropped bucket amount (db). Ex: a THGBV3.62/9 with a 4" dropped bucket would have a total backplate height of 27 1/4".
Product Information Table
|Model No.||Joist Size||Ga.||W (in.)||HB (in.)||Coating/Material||Packaging Qty.|
|THGBV3.62/11||3 1/2 x 11 1/4 – 20||3||3 5/8||11||Simpson Strong-Tie Gray Paint||1|
|THGBV3.62/9||3 1/2 x 9 1/4 – 14||3||3 5/8||9||Simpson Strong-Tie Gray Paint||1|
|THGBV5.50/11||5 1/4 x 11 1/4 – 20||3||5 1/2||11||Simpson Strong-Tie Gray Paint||1|
|THGBV5.50/9||5 1/4 x 9 1/4 – 14||3||5 1/2||9||Simpson Strong-Tie Gray Paint||1|
- Allowable loads are based on a SCL (LVL, PSL, or LSL) carried member with an allowable F'c ⊥ of 750 psi and equivalent Specific Gravity of 0.50 or higher.
- Uplift loads have been increased for earthquake or wind loading with no further increase allowed. Reduce where other loads govern.
- Strong-Drive® SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws require a minimum two-ply (3") carrying member.
- Bolts and Strong-Drive® SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws (not included) may be installed through metal truss connector plates as approved by the truss designer, provided the requirements of ANSI/TPI 1-2014, Sections 220.127.116.11 and 8.9.2 are met.
- Wind (160) is a download rating.
- To achieve published loads, install bolts into the girder truss with the nut on the opposite side of the hanger with a standard cut-washer. Standard cut-washers are required for THGBV.
- Fasteners: Nail dimensions in the table are listed diameter by length. For additional information, see Fastener Types and Sizes Specified for Simpson Strong-Tie Connectors.
Code Reports & Compliance