IUS/MIU I-Joist Hangers
The IUS is a hybrid hanger that incorporates the advantages of the face mount and top mount hanger. Installation is fast with the Strong-Grip™ seat, easy-to-reach face nails and self-jigging locator tabs.
The MIU series hangers are designed for commercial and high load I-joist applications without requiring web stiffeners. The MIU features Positive Angle Nailing (PAN), which minimizes splitting of the flanges while permitting time-saving nailing from a better angle.
Refer to Joist Manufacturer's literature or appropriate Simpson Strong-Tie® Connector Selection Guide for actual joist sizes.
See Face-Mount Hanger tables.
- Use all specified fasteners. Verify that the header can take the required fasteners specified in the table. See General Connector Installation for more information.
- IUS—fasten hanger to header. Position I-joist into hanger and snap into place. No joist nailing required. Some IUS models have triangle and round header nail holes. To achieve Max. download, fill both round and triangle holes.
- IUS—Locator tabs are not structural. They may be bent back to adjust for hanger placement.
- IUS—for rimboard applications see technical bulletin Hangers on Rimboard Headers (T-RIMBDHGR).
- IUS— I-joists with web stiffeners or rectangular sections can be used with the installation of 2-10dx1 1/2" nails into the optional triangle joist nails.
- IUS web stiffeners are not required with I-joists when the top flange is laterally supported by the sides of the hanger unless the manufacturer’s no-web-stiffener reaction is exceeded.
- View step-by-step installation instructions in the Installer's Pocket Guide (S-C-INSTALL).
For sloped joists up to 1/4:12 there is no reduction. For slopes greater than 1/4:12 see individual product pages or refer to technical bulletin Sloped Joist in Non-Sloped Hangers (T-SLOPEJST).
Multiple joists should be adequately connected together to act as one unit.
Use the correct nails. Wood may split if the nails are too large. Hanger nails into flanges should not exceed 10d common (0.148 dia.), no longer than 1 1/2". Nails into web stiffeners should not exceed 16d commons (0.162 dia.).
Supporting a top flange hanger may require bottom flange restraining straps, blocking or directly-applied ceiling systems to prevent rotation at the hanger location.
Joists may be skewed up to 2 1/2 degrees in a non-skewed hanger without any load reduction. Refer to individual hanger descriptions for information allowing any further skew applications.
I-Joist as Header Installations:
When face mount hangers are attached to I-joist headers, backer blocks must be installed to provide a nailing surface for the hanger nails. The backer blocks should be installed on both sides of the web and attached together with a minimum of 10-10d nails. The hanger nails should extend through the web. Contact the I-Joist manufacture for additional design considerations.
When top flange hangers are attached to I-joist headers, a backer block must be installed to prevent the top flange from rotating under load. The backer blocks should be installed with a minimum of 10-10d nails clinched. Check with the joist manufacturer for additional design considerations.
These hangers cannot be modified. However, these models will normally accommodate a skew of up to 5°. For sloped joists up to 1/4:12 there is no reduction, between 1/4:12 and up to 1/2:12, tests show a 10% reduction in ultimate hanger strength. Local crushing of the bottom flange or excessive deflection may be limiting; check with joist manufacturer for specific limitations on bearing of this type.
- Models have optional triangle joist nail holes for additional uplift. Properly attached web stiffeners are required.
- MIU—add four additional 10dx1 1/2" joist nails for a total uplift load of 975 lbs.
- IUS—add web fillers and two 10dx1 1/2" joist nails in the triangle holes for a total uplift of 365 lbs.
Conectores Metálicos Estructurales 2013-2015C-2013SPInformación completa de productos, de la aplicación, de las tablas de cargas y de la instalación, para conectores Simpson Strong-Tie® de madera a madera, madera a concreto y concreto a mampostería.Catalog
Installer's Pocket GuideS-C-INSTALL16S-C-INSTALL16 is a guide featuring updated products, new color illustrations and easier navigation. Some popular structural fastening and anchoring products have also been added.Installation Guide
Alternate Uplift Options for IUS and ITS HangersT-C-OPTUPLIFT16A one-page, single-sided technical bulletin explaining optional additional fastening methods using SD8 Connector screws and triangle-hole nailing to get higher uplift loads from IUS and ITS hangers.Technical Bulletin
Hangers on Rim Boards HeadersT-C-RIMBDHGR16A one-page technical bulletin discussing condition when face-mount and top-flange hangers can be used with an engineered “rim board” wood product.Technical Bulletin
Sloped Joist in Non-Sloped HangersT-C-SLOPEJST14A bulletin on the performance of non-sloped hangers used to support a sloped joist; includes reduction factors from previous versions plus B, ITS, HU and W series hangers.Technical Bulletin
Face-Mount Hangers over Wood Structural PanelL-C-FCMNTSHTG15Face-mount Hangers Installed Over Wood Structural Panel Sheathing.Engineering Letter
IUS and ITS Overspread HangersL-C-OVRSPREAD16Allowable Overspread for IUS & ITS.Engineering Letter
LIU and LBI Stainless-Steel HangersL-C-SSLBILIU15Simpson Strong-Tie® LIU and LBI Stainless-Steel Hangers.Engineering Letter
Show 6 MoreShow Less