LUC/LU/U/HU/HUC Standard Joist Hangers
LUCZ concealed-flange hanger available for 2x6, 2x8, 2x10 and 2x12 lumber. Ideal for end of ledger/header or post conditions, the LUCZ also provides cleaner lines for exposed conditions such as overhead decks.
See hanger tables. See Hanger Options for hanger modifications, which may result in reduced loads.
LU — Value engineered for strength and economy. Precision-formed — engineered for installation ease and design value.
U — The standard U hanger provides flexibility of joist to header installation. Versatile fastener selection with tested allowable loads.
HU/HUC — Most models have triangle and round holes. To achieve maximum loads, fill both round and triangle holes with common nails. These heavy-duty connectors are designed for schools and other structures requiring additional strength, longevity and safety factors.
- See tables
- Galvanized. Some products available in stainless steel or ZMAX® coating. See Corrosion Information.
- Use all specified fasteners. See General Notes.
- HU/HUC — Can be installed filling round holes only, or filling round and triangle holes for maximum values.
- Joists sloped up to 1/4:12 achieve table loads.
- For installations to masonry or concrete, see HU/HUC/HSUR/L.
- HU/HUC hangers can be welded to a steel member. Allowable loads are the lesser of the values in the hanger tables or the weld capacity — refer to technical bulletin HU/HUC Welded onto Steel Members (T-HUHUC-W).
- When nailing into carrying member's end grain, the allowable load is adjusted by a factor of 0.67.
- For both flanges concealed, order HUC.
- The HU is available with the A flanges straight. Standard reductions apply for alternate fasteners.
- For low-cost, code approved 45° skewed hangers, see SUR/SUL.
- For field-adjustable hangers, see LSSJ, LSU, LRUZ and LSSU.
- See table-modifications table for available options and associated load capacities for U and HU hangers.
- For ease of ordering, refer to technical bulletin U/HU Hanger Special Order Worksheet (T-U-HU-WS).
- Model configurations may differ from those shown. Some HU models do not have triangle holes. Contact Simpson Strong-Tie.
Conectores Metálicos Estructurales 2013-2015C-2013SPInformación completa de productos, de la aplicación, de las tablas de cargas y de la instalación, para conectores Simpson Strong-Tie® de madera a madera, madera a concreto y concreto a mampostería.Catalog
Cold-Formed Steel Connectors CatalogC-CFS-15Product information, specifications, load tables and installation illustrations for our cold-formed steel connectors and clips for commercial curtain-wall, mid-rise and residential construction.Catalog
High Wind-Resistant Construction Application GuideF-C-HWRCAG16The newly updated High Wind-Resistant Construction Application Guide offers new applications, updated loads, as well as more fastening information that is used to resist high-wind.Product Guide
U/HU Hanger Special Order WorksheetT-U-HU-WS06This worksheet simplifies the ordering of special order U and HU multiple seat hangers.Worksheet
Do Your Decks Meet Code?/Patio Cover SystemDIY-DECKPATIO16A two-sided tearpad showing connections on one side, while the other side shows the connectors and fasteners needed for a patio cover system. Newer product recommendations are included.Flier
General Hanger Installer's GuideF-C-CANTRUHGR16A two-page General Hanger Installer’s Guide for Canadian Limit States providing instructions for the most common hangers.Flier
Deck Connection and Fastening GuideF-DECKCODE13This guide provides a range of info that makes it user-friendly for DIY and novice contractors while retaining a level of detail for more experienced builders.Flier
Critical Deck ConnectionsS-DECKCONTP12A color tearpad targeting DIY’ers as an educational reference guide for safe deck construction. The piece outlines the vital components of a deck constructed with a continuous load path in mind.Flier
Critical Deck Connections - CanadaS-DECKCONCTP12A color tearpad targeting DIY’ers as an educational reference guide for safe deck construction. The piece outlines the vital components of a deck constructed with a continuous load path in mind.Flier
Critical Deck Connections (French) / Assemblages essentiels d'une terrasse (en français)S-DECKCONCTP12FFlier
DIY Done Right - Make Your Home Projects EasierS-HOMEPRJCTS14A 32-page color brochure showing examples of DIY project ideas using Simpson Strong-Tie® products, including decks, patio covers, fences, and garage organization.Flier
DIY Done Right - Facilitamos los proyectos para su casaS-HOMPRJCTS14SPFlier
Installer's Pocket GuideS-C-INSTALL16S-C-INSTALL16 is a guide featuring updated products, new color illustrations and easier navigation. Some popular structural fastening and anchoring products have also been added.Installation Guide
Connectors Installed on SCL ColumnsT-C-SCLCLM16A one-page, single-sided technical bulletin discussing the structural properties of the two different surface sides of SCL columns, including the listing of reduction factors.Technical Bulletin
Hangers on Rim Boards HeadersT-C-RIMBDHGR16A one-page technical bulletin discussing condition when face-mount and top-flange hangers can be used with an engineered “rim board” wood product.Technical Bulletin
HU/HUC Hangers - Masonry/Concrete Wall ApplicationT-C-HUHUCTTN15Information on the installation instructions, proper fasteners and load information for non-modified HU and HUC hangers for masonry/concrete wall applications.Technical Bulletin
HU/HUC Welded Onto Steel MembersT-C-HUHUC-W16A two-page technical bulletin including updated load calculations for current steel specifications and AISI safety factors.Technical Bulletin
Sloped Joist in Non-Sloped HangersT-C-SLOPEJST17A one-page technical bulletin discussing the performance of non-sloped hangers used to support a sloped joist. It includes reduction factors for B, ITS, HU and welded-series hangers.Technical Bulletin
Use of Power-Driven Nails with Simpson Strong-Tie® ConnectorsT-PNEUMATIC12This technical bulletin discusses the use of pneumatically driven nails with Simpson Strong-Tie® connectors. Includes a list of connectors that may be installed with pneumatic nails.Technical Bulletin
Face-Mount Hangers over Wood Structural PanelL-C-FCMNTSHTG17Face-mount Hangers Installed Over Wood Structural Panel Sheathing.Engineering Letter
Show 18 MoreShow Less
Product Information Tables
Maximum Skew Degree for Skewed HUC Hangers
- Widths greater than 3 1/4" maximum skew is 45°.
See Hanger Options for hanger modifications, which may result in reduced loads.
Load Values with Nails
See Hanger tables
|Model No.||Fasteners||Allowable Loads|
|Uplift(160)||Floor (100)||Snow (115)||Roof (125)||Uplift (160)||Floor (100)||Snow (115)||Roof (125)|
U/HU/HUC Series Modifications and Associated Load Reduction Factors
- Modified seat is sloped, skewed or both. If sloped only or skewed only, use a smooth shank stainless steel reduction of 0.65.
- For both flanges concealed, W must be at least 2 5/16". To order ask for HUCXXX. For skewed HUC, only flange on acute side is concealed.
- Skews over 50° require a square-cut joist.
Reduction Factor Instructions
Allowable Download =
Seat x Flange x Stainless Steel Nails x Other Fastener Substitutions x (Table Load)
Allowable Uplift =
0.75 x Face Fastener Type x (Table Load) for skewed or sloped
1.00 x Face Fastener Type x (Table Load) for non-skewed or sloped