HGLB Heavy Glulam Beam Seat
On This Page
Girder Hangers/Beam Seats
This product's information may differ depending on the category of use. You are currently viewing details related to Girder Hangers/Beam Seats. You can also view product information related to the category: Misc. Connectors for Engineered Wood
The HGLB is designed to support and connect glulam, sawn lumber or engineered wood beams to structural concrete or concrete masonry unit (CMU) pilasters. The rectangular, steel-plate seat features two vertical plates that secure the beam with bolts and has three #6 by 12"-long rebar for placement in forms before concrete is poured. This heavy glulam beam seat provides necessary bearing and lateral holding capacity at structural walls.
- Designed for cast-in-place applications
- Provides additional bearing for heavy beam connections
- Steel plate provides barrier for wood from masonry
- Simpson Strong-Tie gray paint. Hot-dip galvanized available; specify HDG.
- Use all specified fasteners; see General Notes
- Bolt hole diameters in wood shall be a minimum of 1/32" to a maximum of 1/16" larger than the bolt diameter (per the 2015/2018 NDS)
- Check the rebar spacing requirements on all installations
- Beam seats for sawn timber and other sizes may be ordered by specifying special dimensions; use the letter designations shown on the illustrations
- Specify if two-bolt GLB model is desired; see illustration
These products are available with additional corrosion protection.
- Allowable bearing stress for masonry is based on an f'c of 1,500 psi using the IBC Allowable Stress Design. Wood bearing is based on an Fc⊥ of 650 psi.
- When installing on masonry, use the lesser of the masonry or the wood allowable load values. When installing on concrete, use a minimum f'c = 2,500 psi and use the wood values as the limiting allowable bearing load values.
- Allowable horizontal loads are bolt values and include increase for wind or earthquake loading. Loads must be reduced if stresses in masonry or concrete are limiting.
- Beams must fully bear on base plate.
- Specify "W" dimension when ordering.
- Uplift loads do not apply for this connector.
Code Reports & Compliance