VGT Variable-Pitch Girder Tiedown
On This Page
This product's information may differ depending on the category of use. You are currently viewing details related to Girder Tiedowns. You can also view product information related to the categories of: Girder Tiedowns for Plated Truss, Girder Tiedowns for Masonry, Roof Truss and Rafter Connectors, Ties, and Straps for Cold-Formed Steel Construction
The VGT is a girder tiedown for moderate- to high-load applications with girder trusses. This variable tiedown is designed for installation on the side of a truss, and it attaches with Strong-Drive® SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws. The VGT can be bolted down into place in combination with a holdown or bolted directly to the foundation.
- Suitable for retrofit applications
- Available with one flange concealed for attachment to trusses with no tail
- Load rated to resist high-wind forces
- 7 gauge
- Strong-Drive SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws included
- The product can be installed in a single application or in pairs to achieve a higher uplift capacity
- Can be installed on roof pitches up to 8/12 or on a bottom chord designed to transfer the load
- Screw holes are configured to allow for double installation on a two-ply (minimum) truss
- When installing on trusses with no overhangs, specify VGTR/L
- Install washer component (provided) so top of washer is horizontal and parallel with top plate of wall
- US Patent 7,707,785
- Cold-Formed Steel Connectors Technical and Installation Notes
- Wood Construction Connectors Technical and Installation Notes
- General Notes for Cold-Formed Steel
- General Notes for Wood Construction Connectors
Product Information Table
|Model No.||Ga.||W (in.)||H (in.)||CL (in.)||Coating/Material||Product Includes||Packaging Qty.|
|VGT||7||8 1/2||4 1/4||1 7/8||Zinc Galvanized, G90||(16) 1/4 in. x 3 in. Strong-Drive SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws and (1) predeflected crescent washer||1|
|VGTL||7||8 1/2||4 1/4||1 7/8||Zinc Galvanized, G90||(16) 1/4 in. x 3 in. Strong-Drive SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws and (1) predeflected crescent washer||1|
|VGTR||7||8 1/2||4 1/4||1 7/8||Zinc Galvanized, G90||(16) 1/4 in. x 3 in. Strong-Drive SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws and (1) predeflected crescent washer||1|
These products are available with additional corrosion protection.
- See Straps and Ties General Notes.
- Girder tiedowns installed on the outside of the wall require a 3 1/2" overhang to achieve table loads.
- Strong-Drive SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws may be installed through metal truss plates as approved by the truss designer, provided the requirements of ANSI/TPI 1-2014, Sections 220.127.116.11 and 8.9.2 are met (predrilling required through the plate using a 5/32" bit maximum).
- The allowable uplift load listed is for the girder tiedown and anchor rods only. The allowable uplift of the holdown or other anchorage must be checked.
- Fasteners: SDS screws are Simpson Strong-Tie® Strong-Drive screws. For additional information, see Fastener Types and Sizes Specified for Simpson Strong-Tie Connectors.
Code Reports & Compliance