PA Purlin Anchor and Strap-Tie Holdown
On This Page
Holdowns and Tension Ties
This product's information may differ depending on the category of use. You are currently viewing details related to Holdowns and Tension Ties. You can also view product information related to the category: Purlin Anchors
The PA is a solution for CFS-to-concrete and concrete-block connections. To support code requirements, the PA is designed to connect roof purlins to a masonry exterior wall. This purlin anchor features a dual-embedment line that allows for installation in concrete or concrete block (GFCMU).
- Minimum embedment line indicators for both concrete and concrete block installations
- Screw pattern optimized for flange attachment
- Low design profile minimizes visibility
- 12 gauge
- Galvanized or ZMAX® coating
- Use all specified fasteners; some models have extra fastener holes. See General Notes.
- Purlin anchor must hook around rebar.
- Allowable loads are for a horizontal installation into the side of a concrete or masonry wall.
- Strap may be bent one full cycle. (Bent vertical 90° then bent horizontal.)
Edge Distance: Minimum concrete edge distance is 5". Minimum concrete block left-to-right edge distance is 20".
Concrete Block Wall: The minimum wall specifications are:
A — one # 4 vertical rebar, 32" long, 16" each side of anchor
B — two courses of grout-filled block above and below the anchor (no cold joints allowed)
C — a horizontal bond beam with two #4 rebars, 40" long, a maximum of two courses above or below the anchor
D — minimum masonry compressive strength, f'm = 1,500 psi
- Wood Construction Connectors Technical and Installation Notes
- Cold-Formed Steel Connectors Technical and Installation Notes
- General Corrosion Information
Product Information Table
|Model No.||Ga.||W (in.)||L (in.)||Coating/Material||Packaging Qty.|
|PA18||12||2 1/16||18 1/2||Zinc Galvanized, G90||1|
|PA18Z||12||2 1/16||18 1/2||ZMAX®||1|
|PA23||12||2 1/16||23 3/4||Zinc Galvanized, G90||1|
|PA23HDG||12||2 1/16||23 3/4||Hot-Dip Galvanized||1|
|PA23Z||12||2 1/16||23 3/4||ZMAX®||1|
|PA28||12||2 1/16||29||Zinc Galvanized, G90||1|
|PA35||12||2 1/16||35||Zinc Galvanized, G90||1|
|PA51||12||2 1/16||51||Zinc Galvanized, G90||1|
|PA68||12||2 1/16||70||Zinc Galvanized, G90||1|
- Loads may not be increased for short-term loading.
- For concrete installs, the minimum compressive strength, f'c = 3,000 psi.
- Multiply Seismic and Wind ASD load values by 1.4 or 1.6, respectively, to obtain LRFD capacities.
- In accordance with 2012, 2015 and 2018 IBC Section 1613.1, detached one- and two-family dwellings in Seismic Design Category (SDC) C may use "Wind and SDC A&B" allowable loads.
- Minimum center-to-center spacing is 3 times the required embedment (Smin = 3 x le) for PA acting in tension simultaneously, where le = embedment depth. Standard installation is based on minimum 5" end distance.
- Install fasteners symmetrically and with a minimum of 4 of the required fasteners between the embedment line and the first tooling hole. In some cases, not all of the fastener holes will need to be filled.
- Per ASCE7-10, 22.214.171.124.2, for diaphragms in structures assigned to SDC C-F, maximum allowable strap tensile capacity shall be no less than 1.4 times the design load. Not applicable (NA) for Wind and SDC A&B designs.
- For PA straps, concrete embedment shown; embedment in masonry shall be 6".
- See Fastening Systems for more information on Simpson Strong-Tie fasteners.
Code Reports & Compliance