S/HDB Holdown Bolted
The S/HDB is designed to provide loads for high-load shearwalls, braced-wall panels and lateral applications and is ideal for bolt-on applications where the cold-formed steel stud manufacturer can prepunch the bolt holes. The holdown features a unique seat that greatly minimizes deflection under load. Designed for installation with bolts into the studs or column.
- Can be installed directly on the bottom track or raised above it and is suitable for back-to-back applications where eccentricity is a concern.
- Features a unique seat design that greatly minimizes deflection under load.
- The S/HDB model is designed for installation with bolts. Refer to the S/HDS model for attachment to post/column with screws.
- See table
- Simpson Strong‑Tie® gray paint. Hot-dip galvanized available; see Corrosion Information.
- Use all specified fasteners; some models have extra fastener holes. See General Notes.
- Anchor bolt washer is not required.
- Standard washers are required on stud bolt nuts for S/HDB models.
- Thin wall socket (OD = 2" maximum) is required for S/HD15 to tighten the 1" anchor bolt.
- Stud bolts — use A307.
- Boundary members (back-to-back studs) design shall be by designer.
- Holdowns can be welded per designer’s recommendation and specification. To tie back-to-back stud members together, the designer must determine the fasteners required to bind members to act as one unit. Welders and welding procedures shall be qualified as specified in AWS D1.3. Welded connections used for cold-formed steel structural members in which the thickness of the thinnest connected part is 0.18 inch or less shall comply to AISI S100 Specification Section E2.
Product Information Table
|Model No.||Thickness (mil)||Ga.||W (in.)||H (in.)||Coating/Material||Packaging Qty.|
|S/HD10B||118||10||2 5/16||13 1/2||Simpson Strong-Tie Gray Paint||1|
|S/HD15B||171||7||2 5/16||17||Simpson Strong-Tie Gray Paint||1|
|S/HD8B||171||7||2 5/16||11||Simpson Strong-Tie Gray Paint||1|
These products are available with additional corrosion protection.
- The designer shall specify the foundation anchor material type, embedment and configuration. Some of the tabulated holdown tension loads exceed the tension strength of typical ASTM A36 or A307 anchor bolts.
- Stud design by specifier. Tabulated loads are based on a minimum stud thickness for fastener connection.
- Deflection at ASD or LRFD includes fastener slip, holdown deformation and anchor rod elongation for holdowns installed up to 4" above top of concrete. Holdowns may be installed raised, up to 18" above top of concrete, with no load reduction provided that additional elongation of the anchor rod is accounted for. See S/HDU holdown for installation detail.
- The Nominal Tension Load is based on the tested average ultimate (peak) load and is provided for design in accordance with section C5 of AISI S213 that requires a holdown to have a nominal strength to resist the lesser of the amplified seismic load or the maximum force the system can deliver.
- It is acceptable to use the capacity listed for 2-54 (2-16) member for thicker stud members in the same configuration.
- See Fastening Systems for more information on Simpson Strong-Tie fasteners.
Code Reports & Compliance