S/B High-Capacity Hanger
On This Page
The S/B installs to structural steel or cold-formed steel members for support of cold-formed steel joists. The design provides dimensional accuracy and helps to ensure proper bearing area and connection. These modifiable, high-capacity, top-flange hangers are manufactured with precision forming and quality control.
- Attaches to cold-formed steel members with screws or to structural steel with powder-actuated fasteners or welds
- Can be skewed to a maximum of 45°
- These load-rated hangers have been tested and code listed
- 97mil (12 ga.)
- Galvanized (G90)
- May be attached to cold-formed steel supporting members with screws to the face and top flanges and provide capacities for downward and uplift.
- May be attached to structural steel support members with powder-actuated fasteners or welds. For powder-actuated fasteners use PDPAT-62KP (0.157" x 5/8") and provide full penetration as required. For welds, use a minimum of 1/8" x 2" fillet weld on each top flange as required. Distribute the weld equally on both flanges. Capacities are provided for downward loads.
Skew hanger limitations:
- May be skewed up to a maximum of 45º. Widths for skewable sections are limited to a maximum of 5 1/4" (specify right or left skew).
Product Information Tables
Standard Hanger Sizes
Standard size ordering:
Joist 800S162-54 using an S/B hanger.
Hanger Modification Options: Custom Width, Height and Skew
Custom ordering example:
Joist 800S162-54 using S/B hanger skewed right 20°.
S/B Hanger Allowable Loads (lb.)
- Designer shall ensure that the joist member adequately transfers load to hanger. Header must be braced to prevent buckling per designer specification.
- Load is based on the Simpson Strong-Tie PDPAT-62KP (0.157" x 5/8") powder-actuated fasteners. Steel headers with thicknesses between 1/4" and 3/4" having minimum Fy = 36 ksi. A Red (level 5) or Purple (level 6) powder load may be required to achieve specified penetration.
- Tabulated loads are based on testing with full bearing of 2 1/2" flange-depth minimum with 97 mil (12 ga.) CFS for S/B hanger.
- See Fastening Systems for more information on Simpson Strong-Tie fasteners.
Code Reports & Compliance