WP Welded Purlin Hanger
On This Page
Joist Framing Connectors
This product's information may differ depending on the category of use. You are currently viewing details related to Joist Framing Connectors. You can also view product information related to the categories of: Top-Flange Hangers for Solid Sawn Lumber, Top-Flange Hangers for Plated Truss, Top-Flange Hangers for Engineered Wood
The WP is designed to support joists on purlins or beams in cold-formed steel applications. This top-flange hanger offers exceptional flexibility and versatility with the ability to be skewed up to 84° and/or sloped to a maximum of 45°. The WP is an economical choice with a low installed cost requiring only (1) #10 screw for attachment to the joist and a weld to the header.
- Features a solid, one-piece top flange that provides extra stability in panelized roof applications
- Stirrup — 97 mil (12 ga.)
- Simpson Strong-Tie® gray paint. Some models available hot-dip galvanized; specify HDG. See Corrosion Information.
- Hangers may be welded to steel headers with 3/16" and 1 1/2" fillet welds located at each end of the top flange
- See General Notes for Hanger Options.
- Some model configurations may differ from those shown. Contact Simpson Strong-Tie for details. For special order WP hangers, see technical bulletin Special-Order Worksheet - WP Hanger (T-C-WP-WS).
- WP models are available in Type A (bevel-cut) or Type B (square-cut) style for solid sawn and engineered wood applications. Contact Simpson Strong-Tie when ordering.
- Hangers with a skew greater than 15° may have all the joist nails on the outside angle.
- For skewed condition, top flange width can increase up to 18". Contact Simpson Strong-Tie for specific application.
- When using in solid sawn or engineered wood applications, specify the slope up or down in degrees from the horizontal plane and/or the skew right or left in degrees from the perpendicular vertical plane. Specify whether low side, high side or center of joist will be flush with the top of the header.
- Uplift loads are not available for open/closed TF, TF sloped and offset options.
- The WP may have a sloped and/or skewed seat up to 45°. The WP may be skewed up to 84°. See Modifications and Associated Load Reductions table below for reduction associated with modifications.
- The top flange of the WP may be offset and/or sloped down up to 35°. The top flange may also be opened/closed up to 30°. See Modifications and Associated Load Reductions table below.
- For hanger modification options, see Modifications and Associated Load Reductions table below.
- For skewed trusses using the WP hanger, order the Type B stirrup for proper bearing.
- For 4x2 trusses, the ANP nail pattern may be ordered with WP hangers, which will relocate the joist nails to the top and bottom chords.
- For concrete and masonry applications, refer to the WMU top-flange hanger.
- Top flange may be sloped to a maximum of 35° to accommodate a ridge. Specify angle of the slope. Reduce allowable load using straight-line interpolation. Specify H/L/C flush when ordering sloped top flange.
Saddle Hanger (WPD)
- WPD saddle hanger allowable loads are WP loads for each stirrup. Saddle hangers on stud walls do not achieve catalog loads.
- Recommended S dimension is 1/16" oversized for carrying members 2 1/2" wide and less or 1/8" oversized for greater than 2 1/2" wide.
- Wood Construction Connectors Technical and Installation Notes
- Cold-Formed Steel Connectors Technical and Installation Notes
- For hanger heights exceeding the joist height, the allowable load is 0.50 of the table value.
- The designer shall ensure that the joist member adequately transfers load to the hanger.
- Not all combinations of W, H, and B dimensions are available. Contact Simpson Strong-Tie.
- See Fastening Systems for more information on Simpson Strong-Tie fasteners.
Code Reports & Compliance