CBH Concealed Beam Hanger
On This Page
Computer modeling and CNC manufacturing enables glulam to be delivered to the jobsite in precise lengths and with preinstalled concealed hangers. The CBH concealed beam hanger is specifically designed for such applications, and is installed with readily available Simpson Strong-Tie® SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws. The CBH hanger design provides for a +/– 1/32" beam length tolerance at each connector, making it easier to crane into place than other concealed hanger designs that use machined aluminum.
- 1/32" tolerance on each end enables easier installation
- Multiple router option to suit jobsite needs
- Concealed for architectural aesthetics and fire-rated performance
- Code-listed per ICC-ESR-2552
- 3 ga.
- Electro-galvanized. May be ordered as HDG; contact Simpson Strong-Tie.
- Use all specified fasteners; see General Notes.
- Rout carried and/or carrying member according to application needs. The minimum recommended router width and length is 1/16’’ larger than the tabulated part dimensions. The recommended corner radius is 1/4”. The back plates must seat flush against the surfaces to which they are being fastened.
- Install CBH plates on carried and carrying members using all specified SDS fasteners
- Mate carried member to carrying member according to installation illustrations
- Note that the tolerances for glulam finished dimensions provided within CSA 0122 for Canada, and ANSI 117 for the United States, may not provide adequate squareness and depth consistency required to ensure problem-free field installation. To achieve a problem free installation, glulam producers are advising that both beam and column members should be designed with a 1/4” (6mm) undersize in depth and 1/8” (3 mm) in width (eg: 5 1/8”x12” beam becomes 5”x11 3/4”), so that more aggressive planing can be used to achieve the desired squareness and depth tolerances needed for this hanger. In addition, it is suggested to avoid cambered beams with this hanger, and instead design deeper or wider beams to control deflection.
Product Information Table
|Model No.||Ga.||W (in.)||H (in.)||Coating/Material||Applications||Product Includes||Packaging Qty.|
|CBH2.37X5.5B-KT||3||2 3/8||5 1/2||Electro-Galvanized||Joist to beam||(2) backplates, (13) SDS25300 screws and (13) SDS25600 screws||1|
|CBH2.37X5.5C-KT||3||2 3/8||5 1/2||Electro-Galvanized||Joist to column||(2) backplates and (26) SDS25600 screws||1|
|CBH2.37X5.5H-KT||3||2 3/8||5 1/2||Hot-Dip Galvanized||Joist to beam or joist to column||(2) backplates (screws not included)||1|
|CBH2.37X7.63B-KT||3||2 3/8||7 5/8||Electro-Galvanized||Joist to beam||(2) backplates, (18) SDS25300 screws and (18) SDS25600 screws||1|
|CBH2.37X7.63C-KT||3||2 3/8||7 5/8||Electro-Galvanized||Joist to column||(2) backplates and (36) SDS25600 screws||1|
|CBH2.37X7.63H-KT||3||2 3/8||7 5/8||Hot-Dip Galvanized||Joist to beam or joist to column||(2) backplates (screws not included)||1|
|CBH2.37X9.75B-KT||3||2 3/8||9 3/4||Electro-Galvanized||Joist to beam||(2) backplates, (23) SDS25300 screws and (23) SDS25600 screws||1|
|CBH2.37X9.75C-KT||3||2 3/8||9 3/4||Electro-Galvanized||Joist to column||(2) backplates and (46) SDS25600 screws||1|
|CBH2.37X9.75H-KT||3||2 3/8||9 3/4||Hot-Dip Galvanized||Joist to beam or joist to column||(2) backplates (screws not included)||1|
Table 1 — CBH Joist to Beam Allowable Loads
See footnotes below.
Table 2 — CBH Joist to Column Allowable Loads
- Member sizes based on minimum fastener edge distances will achieve tabulated allowable download, but do not consider required char edge distances for desired fire ratings. Member sizes required to achieve desired fire ratings shall be determined by the Engineer of Record.
- Use Simspon Strong-Tie® Strong-Drive® SDWC15600 (6" length) to achieve table uplift capacities.
Tabulated loads are for a single fastener. Use multiple screws for additional uplift.
- Mimimum SDS edge distance 1 1/2".
Code Reports & Compliance