MASA/MASAP Mudsill Anchors
This product's information may differ depending on the category of use. You are currently viewing details related to Mudsill Anchors. You can also view product information related to the category: Concrete Connectors for Cold-Formed Steel Construction
Mudsill anchors have always been a time-saving alternative to anchor bolts, and the MASA anchors provide an even greater load-carrying capacity alternative for 5/8" and 1/2" mudsill anchor bolts on 2x, double-2x and 3x mudsills. It also eliminates the need for 3" square plate washers for seismic design and, in some cases, has load capacities that meet or exceed the parallel- and perpendicular-to-plate shear capacity of other cast-in-place anchors. Two versions of the MASA are available — the standard MASA for installation on standard forms and the MASAP for panelized forms.
The MASA and MASAP are code listed by ICC-ES under the 2012 and 2015 IBC® and IRC®.
- 16 gauge
- Galvanized. All available in ZMAX® coating. See Corrosion Information.
- Use all specified fasteners; see General Notes.
- Concrete shall have a minimum f'c = 2500 psi.
- Spalling — Full loads apply for spalls up to a maximum height of 1 1/4" and a maximum depth of 7/8". Any exposed portion of the mudsill anchor must be protected against possible corrosion.
- For prescriptive anchor spacing refer to the table below.
- Testing shows that these mudsill anchors can be used in lieu of code-required anchor bolts and square washer in high seismic zones. Refer to flier Easier Mudsill Anchoring: Cast-in-Place Mudsill Anchor (F-MASA) for additional information.
- Minimum MASA end distance is 4" and minimum center-to-center spacing is 8" for full load.
- For continuous load path, MASA should be installed on the same side of wall as uplift connectors.
- For installation in severe corrosion environments, refer to General Corrosion Risks for additional considerations.
Cold-Formed Steel Construction
Conectores Metálicos Estructurales 2013-2015C-2013SPInformación completa de productos, de la aplicación, de las tablas de cargas y de la instalación, para conectores Simpson Strong-Tie® de madera a madera, madera a concreto y concreto a mampostería.Catalog
Cold-Formed Steel Connectors CatalogC-CFS-15Product information, specifications, load tables and installation illustrations for our cold-formed steel connectors and clips for commercial curtain-wall, mid-rise and residential construction.Catalog
High Wind-Resistant Construction Application GuideF-C-HWRCAG16The newly updated High Wind-Resistant Construction Application Guide offers new applications, updated loads, as well as more fastening information that is used to resist high-wind.Product Guide
Flood-Resistant Construction Guide for Flood-Prone RegionsF-C-FLOODCON13This flier is designed to educate Specifiers, Building Officials, and Dealers about how to build code-compliant structures to resist the forces created by flooding and high wind.Flier
Installer's Pocket GuideS-C-INSTALL16S-C-INSTALL16 is a guide featuring updated products, new color illustrations and easier navigation. Some popular structural fastening and anchoring products have also been added.Installation Guide
City of Los Angeles RR Values for Connectors in Shear Walls and Wall Anchorage AssembliesT-C-HDLA15T-C-HDLA15 is a technical bulletin that details holdown requirements imposed by the City of Los Angeles and provides adjusted load values for Simpson Strong-Tie holdowns that meet these requirements.Technical Bulletin
Companion for the 2001 AF&PA Wood-Frame Construction Manual for Wind DesignT-01WFCM08The T-01WFCM08 is a 24-page technical bulletin designed to be used in conjunction with the 2001 edition of the Wood Frame Construction Manual.Technical Bulletin
Strengthening Dwellings in Tornado-Prone AreasT-C-TORNADO15Gain insight into how to strengthen structures to resist damage in tornado-prone areas using Simpson Strong-Tie connectors and continuous-load-path design principles.Technical Bulletin
MASA/MASAP Header Block InstallationsL-C-MASAPLBLK17MASA and MASAP connectors provide simple solutions for anchoring a sill plate to the foundation and may be used as alternatives to the traditional cast-in-place anchor bolts required by code.Engineering Letter
MASA/MASAP 1/2" from EdgeL-C-MASAEDGE16MASA/MASAP Mudsill Anchor installed 1/2" in from Edge.Engineering Letter
MASA/MASAP in 4" StemwallL-C-MASA4INSW17MASA, MASAP, MASAZ, and MASAPZ used in a 4" Concrete Stemwall.Engineering Letter
North Carolina Residential Code: Alternate Sill Plate AnchorsL-NCRCALTANCR17Alternate Sill Plate Anchors for Section 4504 of the 2012 North Carolina Residential Building Code.Engineering Letter
Show 10 MoreShow Less
Product Information Tables
Prescriptive Spacing for MASA/MASAP to Replace Sill Anchor Bolts
- "Prescriptive" denotes designs per the IRC or conventional provisions of the IBC for wind speeds 100 mph or less, or for Seismic Design Category D and less (SDC E and less in IBC).
- Detached one- and two-family dwellings in SDC C may use the "Wind & SDC A&B" spacing.
- Spacing is based on the parallel to plate load direction for MASA Standard installation only.
- 5/8" diameter AB required in SDC E.
- When replacing 1/2" -diameter sill bolts use (7) 10d x 1 1/2" nails for standard installation. One out of three MASAs (33%) may be installed in One-Leg-Up installation along a wall line.
- When replacing 5/8" -diameter sill bolts use (9) 10d x 1 1/2" nails for standard installation. One out of five MASAs (20%) may be installed in One-Leg-Up installation along a wall line.
- Per Section 1613 of the 2012/2015 IBC, detached one- and two-family dwellings in SDC C may use the "Wind and SDC A&B" spacing.
- Loads are based on allowable stress design (ASD) and include the load duration factor CD (with CD = 1.6) for wind/earthquake loading. No further increase is allowed. Reduce where other loads govern.
- Minimum concrete compression strength, f'c is 2500 psi.
- Allowable loads are based on a minimum stemwall width of 6".
- For simultaneous loads in more than one direction, the connector must be evaluated using the Unity Equation.
- Per Section 1613 of the 2012/2015 IBC, detached one- and two-family dwellings in SDC C may use the "Wind and SDC A&B" allowable loads.
- For designs under the 2012/2015 IBC, sill plate size shall comply with the shearwall requirements of the 2015 Special Design Provisions for Wind and Seismic.
- MASA/MASAP may be installed using 7-nails when being used to replace a 1/2"-diameter sill bolt for use on a 2x mudsill. Install minimum 3-side fasteners.
- Nails: 10d x 1 1/2" = 0.148" dia. x 1 1/2" long. See other nail sizes and information.
|Part||IAPMO UES ER||ICC-ES ESR||City of Los Angeles||State of Florida|
ESR-2523 is an Index of many of Simpson Strong-Tie Stamped and Welded Cold-formed Steel Products for Wood or Cold-formed Steel Construction