MASA Mudsill Anchor
On This Page
This product's information may differ depending on the category of use. You are currently viewing details related to Mudsill Anchors. You can also view product information related to the category: Concrete Connectors for Cold-Formed Steel Construction
The MASA is a mudsill anchor that provides a time-saving alternative to anchor bolts. This mudsill anchor eliminates the need for 3″ square plate washers for seismic design and, in some cases, has allowable loads that meet or exceed the parallel- and perpendicular-to-plate shear loads of other cast-in-place anchors. The MASA is ideal for installation on standard forms and is code listed by ICC-ES under the 2012, 2015, 2018 and 2021 IBC® and IRC®.
- Attaches easily to the concrete form for quick installation
- Lays flat on the form board so there is no anchor bolt to finish around
- None of the labor costs involved in drilling plates and aligning holes
- Flat design eliminates chances of modification in prefabricated walls
- Eliminates the need to notch studs because of intersection with anchor bolt placement
- Reduces the chance of having to retrofit anchors because of missing or misplaced anchor bolts
- 16 gauge
- Galvanized or ZMAX® coating; see Corrosion Information
- Use all specified fasteners; see General Notes.
- Concrete shall have a minimum f'c = 2,500 psi.
- Spalling — full loads apply for spalls up to a maximum height of 1 1/4" and a maximum depth of 7/8". Any exposed portion of the mudsill anchor must be protected against possible corrosion.
- For prescriptive anchor spacing, refer to the table below.
- Testing shows that these mudsill anchors can be used in lieu of code-required anchor bolts and square washers in high seismic zones.
- Minimum end distance is 4" and minimum center-to-center spacing is 8" for full load. For reduced center-to-center spacing and/or end distance, see engineering letter MASA/MASAP Reduced Spacing (L-C-MASASPCNG).
- For a continuous load path, MASA should be installed on the same side of the wall as uplift connectors.
- For installation in severe corrosion environments, refer to General Corrosion Risks for additional considerations.
- US Patent 8,484,917
Product Information Table
|Model No.||Ga.||Coating/Material||Packaging Qty.|
|MASA||16||Zinc Galvanized, G90||1|
|MASA-B||16||Zinc Galvanized, G90||2500|
These products are available with additional corrosion protection.
|Model No.||Sill Size||Fasteners (in.)||Allowable Loads|
|Wind and SDC A&B5,6||SDC C–F6||Wind and SDC A&B5,6||SDC C–F6|
|Standard Installation – Attached to DF/SP Sill Plate|
|MASA||2x4, x6, x8, x10||(3) 0.148 x 1 1/2||(6) 0.148 x 1 1/2||920||1,475||1,095||745||1,235||1,045||750||1,475||875||660||1,235||765|
|3x4, 3x6||(5) 0.148 x 1 1/2||(4) 0.148 x 1 1/2||630||1,165||725||550||1,020||725||475||1,165||725||415||1,020||640|
|One-Leg-Up Installation – Attached to DF/SP Sill Plate and DF/SP Stud|
|MASA||2x4, x6, x8, x10||(6) 0.148 x 1 1/2||(3) 0.148 x 1 1/2||755||965||995||660||845||995||570||965||930||500||845||810|
|3x4, 3x6||(7) 0.148 x 1 1/2||(2) 0.148 x 1 1/2||—||760||—||—||665||—||—||760||—||—||665||—|
|Two-Legs-Up Installation – Attached to DF/SP Sill Plate and Rimboard or Blocking|
|MASA||2x4, x6, x8, x10, 3x4, 3x6||(9) 0.148 x 1 1/2||—||810||1,105||865||740||965||755||620||1,105||630||560||965||550|
|Double 2x Installation – Attached to DF/SP Sill Plate|
|MASA||Double 2x4, Double 2x6||(5) 0.148 x 1 1/2||(2) 0.148 x 1 1/2||840||1,030||785||735||900||785||635||1,030||785||555||900||785|
|Standard Installation – Attached to Hem Fir Sill Plate|
|MASA||2x4, x6, x8, x10||(3) 0.148 x 1 1/2||(6) 0.148 x 1 1/2||790||1,250||940||640||1,060||900||650||1,250||755||570||1,060||660|
|3x4, 3x6||(5) 0.148 x 1 1/2||(4) 0.148 x 1 1/2||535||1,005||625||475||875||625||410||1,005||625||355||875||550|
|One-Leg-Up Installation – Attached to Hem Fir Sill Plate and HF/SPF Stud|
|MASA||2x4, x6, x8, x10||(6) 0.148 x 1 1/2||(3) 0.148 x 1 1/2||650||830||855||565||725||855||490||830||795||430||725||695|
|3x4, 3x6||(7) 0.148 x 1 1/2||(2) 0.148 x 1 1/2||—||670||—||—||570||—||—||670||—||—||570||—|
|Two-Legs-Up Installation – Hem Fir Sill Plate and HF/SPF Rimboard or Blocking|
|MASA||2x4, x6, x8, x10, 3x4, 3x6||(9) 0.148 x 1 1/2||—||700||950||745||635||830||650||545||950||540||480||830||475|
|Double 2x Installation – Attached to Hem Fir Sill Plate|
|MASA||Double 2x4, Double 2x6||(5) 0.148 x 1 1/2||(2) 0.148 x 1 1/2||720||890||675||630||775||675||545||890||675||475||775||675|
- Loads have been increased for wind or earthquake loading, with no further increase allowed. Reduce where other loads govern.
- Concrete shall have a minimum compressive strength of f'c = 2,500 psi.
- Allowable loads are based on a minimum stem wall width of 6".
- For simultaneous loads in more than one direction, the connector must be evaluated using the Unity Equation, as described in General Instructions for the designer.
- Per Section 1613 of the 2012/2015/2018/2021 IBC, detached one- and two-family dwellings in SDC C may use the "Wind and SDC A&B" allowable loads.
- For designs under the 2012/2015/2018/2021 IBC, sill plate size shall comply with the shearwall requirements of the 2015 or 2021 Special Design Provisions for Wind and Seismic.
- Fasteners: Nail dimensions in the table are listed diameter by length. For additional information, see Fastener Types and Sizes Specified for Simpson Strong-Tie Connectors.
Prescriptive Spacing for MASA to Replace Sill Anchor Bolts
|Model No.||Anchor Bolt Size to Replace||Anchor Bolt Spacing to Replace||MASA Spacing|
|DF/SP 2x Sill Plate||HF 2x Sill Plate|
|Wind and SDC A&B||SDC C–E||Wind and SDC A&B||SDC C–E|
|MASA||1/2" diameter||6' o.c.||6'–0"||6'–0"||6'–0"||6'–0"|
|MASA||5/8" diameter||6' o.c.||5'–4"||4'–6"||5'–1"||4'–4"|
- Detached one- and two-family dwellings in SDC C may use the "Wind and SDC A&B" spacing.
- Spacing is based on the parallel-to-plate load direction for MASA standard installation only.
- 5/8" anchor bolt required for Seismic Design Category E.
- When replacing 1/2"-diameter sill bolts, use (7) 0.148" x 1 1/2" nails for standard installation. One out of three MASA anchors (33%) may be installed in one-leg-up installation along a wall line.
- When replacing 5/8"-diameter sill bolts, use (9) 0.148" x 1 1/2" nails for standard installation. One out of five MASA anchors (20%) may be installed in one-leg-up installation along a wall line.
- Per Section 1613 of the 2012/2015/2018/2021 IBC, detached one- and two-family dwellings in SDC C may use the "Wind and SDC A&B" spacing.
Code Reports & Compliance