EPCZ End Post Cap
On This Page
The EPCZ is designed as a fast and easy post-to-beam end connection. With the post and beam flanges in line with each other, this end post cap can accommodate several post sizes. The EPCZ features a ZMAX® finish to meet exposure conditions in many environments.
- The ZMAX finish is standard
- Easy install with 10d (0.148" x 3") common nails or Strong-Drive® SD Connector screws
- In-line flanges accommodate multiple beam sizes
- 16 gauge
- ZMAX coating; see Corrosion Information
- Use all specified fasteners; see General Notes
- Center EPCZ legs on post
- Do not install bolts into pilot holes
Product Information Table
|Model No.||Ga.||W (in.)||Coating/Material||Packaging Qty.|
These products are available with additional corrosion protection.
Many of these products are approved for installation with Strong-Drive® SD Connector screws.
|Model No.||W (in.)||Fasteners (in.)||Post Size||Allowable Loads (DF/SP)|
|Beam||Post||Uplift (160)||Lateral (160)|
|EPC4Z||3 9/16||(10) 0.148 x 3||(8) 0.148 x 3||(2) 2x4||1,130||895|
|EPC6Z||5 1/2||(10) 0.148 x 3||(8) 0.148 x 3||4x6||1,435||1,075|
|EPC8Z||7 1/2||(10) 0.148 x 3||(8) 0.148 x 3||4x8||1,435||1,075|
- Allowable loads have been increased for wind or earthquake loading with no further increase allowed. Reduce where other loads govern.
- Structural composite lumber columns have sides that show either the wide face or the edges of the lumber strands/veneers known as the narrow face. Values in the tables reflect installation into the wide face. See technical bulletin T-C-SCLCLM for load reductions resulting from narrow-face installations.
- Post and beam may consist of multiple members provided they are connected independently of the post cap fasteners.
- 0.148" x 2 1/2" nails may be used with no load reduction for uplift and 0.85 of the table loads for lateral.
- #9 x 1 1/2" Strong-Drive® SD Connector screws may be substituted for table fasteners with no load reduction.
- To order models available for rough size lumber, specify RZ suffix — e.g., EPC4RZ.
- Fasteners: Nail dimensions in the table are diameter by length. For additional information, see Fastener Types and Sizes Specified for Simpson Strong-Tie Connectors.
Code Reports & Compliance