Guidelines for Selecting Corrosion-Resistant Anchors and Fasteners
Evaluate the Application
Consider the importance of the connection.
Evaluate the Exposure
Consider these moisture and treatment chemical exposure conditions:
- Dry Service: Generally INTERIOR applications and includes wall and ceiling cavities, raised floor applications in enclosed buildings that have been designed to prevent condensation and exposure to other sources of moisture. Prolonged exposure during construction should also be considered, as this may constitute a Wet Service or Elevated Service Condition.
- Wet Service: Generally EXTERIOR construction in conditions other than Elevated Service. These include Exterior Protected and Exposed and General Use Ground Contact as described by the AWPA UC4A.
- Elevated Service: Includes fumes, fertilizers, soil, some preservative-treated wood (AWPA UC4B and UC4C), industrial zones, acid rain and other corrosive elements.
- Uncertain: Unknown exposure, materials or treatment chemicals.
- Ocean/Water Front: Marine environments that include airborne chlorides and some splash. Environments with de-icing salts are included.
- Treatment Chemicals: See AWPA Use Category Designations. The preservative-treated wood supplier should provide all of the pertinent information about the wood being used. The information should include Use Category Designation, wood species group, wood treatment chemical and chemical retention. See appropriate evaluation reports for corrosion effects of treatment chemicals and fastener corrosion resistance recommendations.
Use the Simpson Strong-Tie® Corrosion Classification Table
If the treatment chemical information is incomplete, Simpson Strong-Tie recommends the use of a 300-series stainless-steel product. Also if the treatment chemical is not shown in the Corrosion Classification Table, then Simpson Strong-Tie has not evaluated it and cannot make any recommendations other than the use of coatings and materials in the Severe category. Manufacturers may independently provide test results of other product information; Simpson Strong-Tie expresses no opinion regarding such information.