Purpose: to fasten a connector.
Fill Requirements: always fill, unless noted otherwise.
Purpose: to make fastening a connector in a tight location easier.
Fill Requirements: always fill.
Purpose: to fasten a connector to concrete or masonry.
Fill Requirements: always fill when fastening a connector to concrete or masonry.
Purpose: to increase a connector's strength or to achieve max. strength.
Fill Requirements: when the designer specifies max. nailing.
Purpose: to temporarily fasten a connector to make installing it easier.
Purpose: to provide fastening option for unique custom designs
Fill Requirements: only when specified by designer.
Tooling holes for manufacturing purposes. No fasteners required.
To achieve the loads shown in this catalog, the designer must veriFy that the self-drilling screws used for connector installation have ss/Ω and ts/Ω values greater than or equal to the values tabulated in this table.
Hex head screws shown are required for connectors in this catalog. Where sheathing or finishes will be applied over the screws and
low-profile heads are needed (such as with bracing connectors, hurricane ties and stud-plate ties), the designer is to ensure that
the minimum screw head diameter complies with ASME B18.6.4.
Minimum ASD Loads for Screws (lb.)
- Allowable loads are per AISI S-100 and are for use when utilizing the traditional Allowable Stress Design methodology. The tabulated loads may be multiplied by a Factor of Safety (Ω) of 3 to determine the screw nominal strength. The LRFD load may be determined by multiplying the nominal screw load by a Resistance Factor (φ) of 0.50.
- Allowable loads may not be increased for wind or seismic load unless otherwise noted.
- Allowable loads are based on cold-formed steel members with a minimum yield strength, Fy, of 33 ksi and tensile strength, Fu, of 45 ksi for 43 mil (18 ga.) and thinner, and a minimum yield strength of 50 ksi and tensile strength of 65 ksi for 54 mil (16 ga.) and thicker.
- Allowable loads are based on design steel thickness for 33 mil = 0.0346", 43 mil = 0.0451", 54 mil = 0.0566", 68 mil = 0.0713", and 97 mil = 0.1017" per AISI S201 Product Data, Table B2-1.
- Self-drilling tapping screw fasteners for steel-to-steel connections used for connectors in this catalog shall be in compliance with ASTM C1513.
- Minimum required screw length is the greater of 3/4" and the minimum length required for the screw to extend through the steel connection a minimum of (3) exposed threads per AISI S200-12 General Provisions Standard, Sect. D1.3.
- Screw diameters per AISI S200-12 Commentary Table C-E4-1.
- Size 1/4"-diameter self-tapping screws may be substituted for #14 screws.
- Total thickness of all steel, including any spacing between layers.
- Drill and tap capacities may vary.
- Table is guideline only; see individual product for specific maximum material thickness.
CFS Framing Member
- One "mil" is 1/1000 (0.001) of an inch. Mil thickness measures the uncoated base material.