Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc. structural connectors, anchors, and other products are designed and tested to provide specified design loads. To obtain optimal performance from Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc. products and achieve maximal allowable design load, the products must be properly installed and used in accordance with the installation instructions and design limits provided by Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc. To ensure proper installation and use, designers and installers must carefully read the following General Notes, General Instructions to the Installer and General Instructions to the Designer, as well as consult the applicable catalog pages for specific product installation instructions and notes.
Proper product installation requires careful attention to all notes and instructions, including these basic rules:
- Be familiar with the application and correct use of the connector.
- Follow all installation instructions provided in the applicable catalog, website, Installer's Pocket Guide or any other Simpson Strong-Tie publications.
- Install all required fasteners per installation instructions provided by Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc.: (a) use proper fastener type; (b) use proper fastener quantity; (c) fill all fastener holes; (d) do not overdrive or underdrive nails, including when using powder nailers; and (e) ensure screws are completely driven.
- Only bend products that are specifically designed to be bent. For those products that require bending (such as strap-type holdowns, straight-end twist straps, etc.), do not bend more than one full cycle.
- Cut joists to the correct length, do not "short-cut." The gap between the end of the joist and the header material should be no greater than 1⁄8" unless otherwise noted.
Failure to follow all of the notes and instructions provided by Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc. may result in improper installation of products. Improperly installed products may not perform to the specifications set forth in this catalog and may reduce a structure's ability to resist the movement, stress and loading that occurs from gravity loads as well as impact events such as earthquakes and high-velocity winds.
Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc. does not guarantee the performance or safety of products that are modified, improperly installed or not used in accordance with the design and load limits set forth in this catalog.
In addition to following the basic rules provided above as well as all notes, warnings and instructions provided in the catalog, installers, designers, engineers and consumers should consult the Technical Notes and product pages to obtain additional design and installation information.
- Instructional builder/contractor training kits containing an instructional video, an instructor guide and a student guide in both English and Spanish;
- Installer's Pocket Guide which is designed specifically for installers and uses detailed graphics and minimal text in both English and Spanish to explain visually how to install many key products;
- Information on workshops Simpson Strong-Tie conducts at various training centers throughout the country;
- Product specific installation videos;
- Specialty catalogs;
- Code reports;
- Technical fliers and bulletins;
- Engineering letters;
- Master format specifications;
- Safety data sheets;
- Corrosion information;
- Connector selection guides for engineered wood products (by manufacturer);
- Simpson Strong-Tie Connector Selector™ software;
- Simpson Strong-Tie Joist Hanger Selector;
- Simpson Strong-Tie Drawing Finder for AutoCAD® Plugin;
- Simpson Strong-Tie CFS Designer™ software;
- Simpson Strong-Tie Anchor Designer software;
- Simpson Strong-Tie Strong-Wall® Selector software;
- Simpson Strong-Tie Fastener Finder;
- Simpson Strong-Tie YouTube Channel; and
- Answers to frequently asked questions and technical topics.
- For all our web and mobile apps, visit strongtie.com/software.