HD3B Vertical Installation
HTT4 Vertical Installation
Typical CBSQ-SDS2 Installation
HDU Vertical Installation
Post Allowable Compression Load TablesPost Allowable Compression Loads for Douglas-Fir-Larch
See footnotesPost Allowable Compression Loads for Southern Pine
See footnotesPost Allowable Compression Loads for Spruce-Pine-Fir
See footnotesPost Allowable Compression Loads for Hem-Fir
Post Tension Load TablesPost Tension Loads for Douglas-Fir-Larch
See footnotesPost Tension Loads for Southern Pine
See footnotesPost Tension Loads for Spruce-Pine-Fir
See footnotesPost Tension Loads for Hem-Fir
- The allowable (ASD) loads are based on the 2012 National Design Specification for Wood Construction (NDS) including the March 2013 Addendum, for lumber with a moisture content of 19% or less.
- Post heights are based on standard precut stud heights and associated top plate heights. For Douglas Fir, wall height is nominal height plus 3/4" (California stud height). For all other species, wall height is nominal height plus 1 1/8". Effective post lengths, le, are the actual wall height s minus the thickness of 3-2x plates (4 1/2").
- Shaded values are limited by the Perpendicular to Grain bearing capacity, Pc⊥, when posts bear on wood sill plates. Where posts and sill plates are different species, Designer shall limit allowable load to the lower of the post capacity or the perpendicular to grain capacity for each species used.
- Perpendicular to grain allowable loads do not include the NDS Bearing Area Factor, Cb. For posts whose bearing area is not closer than 3" from the end of a sill plate, the Pc⊥ values may be multiplied by Cb.
- Allowable tension loads are based on net section assuming hole size equal to bolt diameter plus 1/16" with the hole drilled on the 3 1/2" face of post for a 4-inch wall and on the 5 1/2" face of post for a 6-inch wall. Tension loads have been increased for wind or seismic loading with no further increase allowed. Reduce where other loads govern.
- Values do not consider combined axial and out-of-plane bending.
- Bolt diameter “None” indicates full cross section.
T = Bearing Length (post thickness)
Cb = Bearing Area Factor per NDS 3.10.4