- Before beginning construction, allow your decking materials to acclimate to the jobsite conditions. A freshly pressure treated deck board can contain over a gallon of liquid.
- Select the proper fastener based on the importance of
the connection, exposure, and the materials that are
being fastened. Consult strongtie.com for guidelines on choosing the
- Consider using 300 series stainless-steel fasteners when
elevated exposure conditions may exist, such as presence
of de-icing salts or close proximity to swimming pools, hot
tubs, sprinklers, ponds, foliage and other resident moisture
- Inadequate gap spacing between boards can put additional
load on the fasteners and lead to broken screws or nail
- Orienting the crown of the deck board “bark side up”
will help to shed water and reduce cupping and other
- Use caution to avoid overdriving fasteners during
installation, which can cause breakage.
- Allow for proper water drainage. A deck should angle away
from the structure a minimum of 1/8" for every 8' to reduce
the possibility of standing water.
- If 5/4" decking is to be installed diagonally, reduce the oncenter
joist spacing to 12" versus standard 16".
- Adequate ventilation is necessary to minimize cupping,
warping and other weathering related defects. Construct
the deck a minimum of 18 inches off the ground to allow
proper airflow. If this is not possible, reduce on-center joist
spacing to 12" versus standard 16". A moisture barrier
(landscape fabric) under the deck, covered with gravel is
also a good practice.
- Proper maintenance is essential. Staining and sealing,
along with periodic inspection of fasteners and hardware,
will potentially add years to the life of the deck.
For more information on deck construction
and products from Simpson Strong-Tie, please
see our Deck Connection and Fastening Guide (F-DECKCODE) and the technical bulletin, Guardrail Post Installations Using Strong-Drive® SDWS Timber
Please refer to the American Wood Council’s Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide (DCA 6) for important information on best practices and code compliant design.