Non-modified HU and HUC series hangers may be welded to supporting structural steel members.
- Use 1” weld segments equally spaced top to bottom, with half the segments on each side of hanger
- Welds may be either lap joint (on outside edge of flanges) or flare bevel groove (on flange bend line)
- Refer to technical bulletin T-C-HUHUC-W
- Design loads must not exceed the current Wood Construction Connectors catalog capacity for specific hanger and application used.
- Loads assume E-70XX weld material (e.g., E-70S-E).
- Caution: Welding galvanized steel may produce harmful fumes; follow proper welding procedures and safety precautions. Welding should be in accordance with A.W.S. standards.
- Welds must conform to the current A.W.S. D1.3 structural welding code for sheet steel.
- This connection involves welding 14 gauge to heavy structural steel. It should only be performed by skilled, qualified welders.
- For uplift loads, use values for wood-to-wood connectors shown in the current Wood Construction Connectors catalog.
Lap Joint Fillet Weld
Flare Bevel Groove Weld
Flare Bevel Groove Weld Detail