Important Information and General Notes
The following warnings, notes, instructions and product information apply to the specific products listed in this design guide, calculations and drawings supplied by Simpson Strong-Tie. If you use any other Simpson Strong‑Tie Company Inc. products, read the warnings, notes, instructions and product information in the applicable catalog and consult strongtie.com for the latest catalogs, bulletins and product information.
Strong Frame® Moment Connection is prequalified for use in special moment frame (SMF) and intermediate moment frame (IMF) systems according to AISC 358-16 provisions. To obtain optimal performance from Simpson Strong‑Tie Strong Frame Moment Connection and achieve maximum allowable design load, the connection components must be properly installed and used in accordance with the installation instructions and Design limits provided by Simpson Strong‑Tie Company Inc. To ensure proper installation and use, designers and installers must carefully read the following General Notes, General Instructions for the Installer and General Instructions for the Designer, as well as consult the applicable catalog pages for specific product, installation instructions and notes.
Proper product installation requires careful attention to all notes and instructions, including these basic rules:
- Be familiar with the application and correct use of the product.
- Install all required fasteners per installation instructions provided by Simpson Strong‑Tie Company Inc.: a) use proper fastener type; b) use proper fastener quantity; c) fill all fastener holes as specified; d) ensure screws are completely driven; and e) ensure bolts are completely tightened.
In addition to following the basic rules provided above as well as all notes, warnings and instructions provided in the design guide, installers, designers, engineers and consumers should consult the Simpson Strong‑Tie Company Inc. website at strongtie.com to obtain additional design and installation information, including:
- Instructional builder/contractor training kits containing an instructional video, an instructor guide and a student guide in both English and Spanish
- Information on workshops Simpson Strong-Tie conducts at various training centers throughout the country
- Product specific installation videos
- Specialty catalogs
- Code reports
- Technical fliers and bulletins
- Master format specifications
- Material safety data sheets
- Corrosion information
- Simpson Strong-Tie AutoCAD® menu
- Answers to frequently asked questions and technical topics.
Failure to follow fully all of the notes and instructions provided by Simpson Strong‑Tie Company Inc. may result in improper installation of products. Improperly installed products may not perform to the specifications set forth in this design guide and may reduce a structure’s ability to resist the movement, stress, and loading that occurs from gravity loads and loading from events such as earthquakes and high-velocity winds.
Simpson Strong‑Tie Company Inc. does not guarantee the performance or safety of products that are modified, improperly installed or not used in accordance with the design and load limits set forth in this design guide.
Autocad is a registered trademark of Autodesk.
These general notes are provided to ensure proper installation of Simpson Strong-Tie products and must be followed fully.
- Simpson Strong‑Tie Company Inc. reserves the right to change specifications, designs, and models without notice or liability for such changes.
- Steel used for each Simpson Strong‑Tie product is individually selected based on the product’s steel specifications, including strength, thickness, formability, finish and weldability. Contact Simpson Strong‑Tie for steel information on specific products.
- Unless otherwise noted, dimensions are in inches, loads are in pounds.
- 8d (0.131" x 2 1/2"), 10d (0.148" x 3") and 16d (0.162" x 3 1/2") specify common nails that meet the requirements of ASTM F1667.
- Do not overload. Do not exceed catalog allowable loads, which would jeopardize the product.
- All references to bolts or machine bolts (MBs), unless otherwise noted, are for structural quality through bolts (not lag screws or carriage bolts) equal to or better than ASTM Standard A307, Grade A. Anchor rods for MFSL, MFAB, MF-ATR5EXT-LS and MF-ATR5EXT-LSG are ASTM F1554 Grade 36 or A36; MFSL‑HS, MFAB-HS MF-ATRXEXT-HS and MF-ATRXEXT-HSG are ASTM A449; Yield-Link®-to-column connections are ASTM A325. Strong Frame beam-to-shear tab connections are ASTM A325 bolts. Yield-Link-to-beam connections are ASTM A490 (F2280) tension-control bolts.
- Wood shrinks and expands as it loses or gains moisture. Dimensions given to the face of wood nailers in this design guide may vary slightly due to moisture content. Capacities provided that include wood nailers are based on a moisture content of less than 19 percent at time of fastener installation, and a minimum specific gravity of 0.50. Nailers are DF #2.
- Some model configurations may differ from those shown in this catalog. Contact Simpson Strong-Tie for details.