Site-Built Portal Frame System Design Options and Tools
Portal Frame System Dimensions
- LVL is 2.0E (min.); solid sawn lumber is #2 or better.
- Anchor bolts are not included in the portal frame system kit. Refer to pages 5–7 for additional information on anchorage.
- Refer to foundation details for minimum concrete dimensions.
- Solid sawn columns require a wood shim at the holdown assemblies.
To specify a portal frame system, include the following:
- Single or double hardware kit
- Column size and material
- Beam size and material
- Anchor diameter, adhesive type and embedment depths
- Specific reference to any shim blocking or pony wall assembly details, if applicable
- Include the Simpson Strong-Tie installation detail sheet with your plans and reference the sheet number
- Simpson Strong-Tie PFS-HKS single wall portal with (2) 2x10 SPF columns with 1/2" OSB shim, (2) 1¾" x 11 7/8" LVL beams with 1/4" shim
- Simpson Strong-Tie SET-3G™ epoxy, 5/8"-diameter all-thread rod, 12" embedment
See Simpson Strong-Tie PFS installation details on sheet SX.XX
Portal Frame System Bracing Equivalents for Wind
- The Strong-Wall site-built portal frame system (PFS) is applicable for use up to a height of 10' max. The height is permitted to be increased to 12' with a 2' max. pony wall. Allowable wall-bracing length must be multiplied by a 0.80 factor.
- Applicable for use in Wind and SDC A, B and C for detached one- and two-family dwellings.
- Use limited to single-story and the first of two-story applications.
- Concurrent vertical load denotes the total maximum concentric vertical load permitted on the panel acting in combination with the lateral wind loading.
- The Designer is responsible for the beam design. The reaction at beam/column interface shall not exceed the tabulated maximum allowable beam end reaction for each material type.
- Minimum header depths for LVL and solid sawn are 11 7/8" and 11 1/4" respectively.
- Solid sawn columns may be used in combination with LVL header material. Wall-bracing length is limited to that of the solid sawn material. Shims illustrated in LVL — Solid Sawn detail below must be used for proper framing alignment.
- For 10" nominal DF/SP and SPF/HF systems constructed with shim at holdown only, vertical load is limited to 2,500 lb.