Important Information and General Notes for Yield-Link® Moment Connection
The following warnings, notes, instructions and product information apply to the specific products listed in this design guide and the associated calculations and drawings supplied by Simpson Strong-Tie. If you use any other Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc. products, read the warnings, notes, instructions and product information in the applicable design guide and consult strongtie.com for the latest design guides, bulletins and product information.
Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc. structural connectors, anchors, and other products are designed and tested to provide specified design loads. To obtain optimal performance from Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc. products and achieve maximum allowable design load, the products must be properly installed and used in accordance with the installation instructions and design limits provided by Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc. To ensure proper installation and use, designers and installers must carefully read the following General Notes, General Instructions for the Installer and General Instructions for the Designer, as well as consult the applicable design guide pages for specific product information, installation instructions and notes.
Proper product installation requires careful attention to all notes and instructions, including these basic rules:
- Be familiar with the application and correct use of the product.
- Install all required fasteners per installation instructions provided by Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc.: (a) use proper fastener type; (b) use proper fastener quantity; (c) fill all fastener holes as specified; (d) ensure screws are completely driven; and (e) ensure bolts are completely tightened.
In addition to following the basic rules provided above as well as all notes, warnings and instructions provided in the design guide, installers, designers, engineers and consumers should consult the Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc. website at strongtie.com to obtain additional design and installation information, including:
- Product-specific installation videos
- Specialty design guides
- Code reports
- Technical fliers and bulletins
- Master format specifications
- Simpson Strong-Tie AutoCAD® drawings
- Answers to frequently asked questions and technical topics
- Yield-Link design and detailing tools
Failure to follow fully all of the notes and instructions provided by Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc. may result in improper installation of products. Improperly installed products may not perform to the specifications set forth in this design guide and may reduce a structure’s ability to resist the movement, stress and loading that occurs from gravity loads and events such as earthquakes and high-velocity winds.
Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc. does not guarantee the performance or safety of products that are modified, improperly installed or not used in accordance with the design and load limits set forth in this design guide.
AutoCAD is a registered trademark of Autodesk.
These general notes are provided to ensure proper installation of Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc. products and must be followed fully.
- Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc. reserves the right to change specifications, designs and models without notice or liability for such changes.
- Steel used for each Simpson Strong-Tie product is individually selected based on the product’s steel specifications, including strength, thickness, formability, finish and weldability. Contact Simpson Strong-Tie for steel information on specific products.
- Unless otherwise noted, dimensions are in inches, loads are in kips.
- Do not overload. Do not exceed loads in this design guide, which would jeopardize the product.
- All references to bolts or machine bolts (MBs), unless otherwise noted, are for structural-quality through-bolts (not lag screws or carriage bolts) equal to or better than the following: ASTM A325 for link-to-column connections; ASTM A325 bolts for beam-to-shear-tab connections and Link BRP-to-beam-flange connections; ASTM A490 (F2280) tension-control bolts for link-to-beam connections.
- Some model configurations may differ from those shown in this design guide. Contact Simpson Strong-Tie for details.