Yield-Link® General Instructions for the Installer and Designer
General Instructions for the Installer
- These general instructions for the installer are provided to ensure proper selection and installation of Simpson Strong‑Tie Company Inc. products and must be followed carefully. These general instructions are in addition to the specific installation instructions and notes provided for each particular product, all of which should be consulted prior to and throughout the installation of Simpson Strong‑Tie Company Inc. products.
- All specified fasteners must be installed according to the instructions in this design guide. Incorrect fastener quantity, size, placement, type, material or finish may cause the connection to fail.
- Use the materials specified in the installation instructions. Substitution of or failure to use specified materials may cause the product to fail.
- Do not add holes to or otherwise modify Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc. products except as noted in this design guide. The performance of modified products may be substantially weakened. Simpson Strong-Tie will not warrant or guarantee the performance of such modified products.
- Install products in the position specified in the design guide.
- Install all specified fasteners before loading the frame.
- Use proper safety equipment.
- Nuts shall be installed such that the end of the threaded rod or bolt is at least flush with the top of the nut.
General Instructions for the Designer
- These general instructions for the designer are provided to ensure proper selection and installation of Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc. products and must be followed carefully. These general instructions are in addition to the specific design and installation instructions and notes provided for each particular product, all of which should be consulted prior to and throughout the design process.
- Building codes have specific design requirements for the use of steel moment frames. Designer shall verify that the structural design meets the applicable code requirements.
- Yield-Link moment connections provide a key component of a structure’s lateral-force-resisting system only when incorporated into a continuous load transfer path. The designer must specify the required components of the complete load transfer path including diaphragms, shear transfer, chords and collectors and foundations.
- The term “designer” used throughout this design guide is intended to mean a licensed/certified building design professional, a licensed professional engineer or a licensed architect.
- All connected members and related elements shall be designed by the designer.
- All installations should be designed in accordance to the design procedures in this design guide and design tools.
- Welding shall be in accordance with AWS D1.1 and AWS D1.8 (as applicable for seismic). Welds shall be as specified by the designer. Provide welding special inspection as required by the local building department.