CTS218 Compression and Tension Strap
On This Page
The CTS218 is designed to repair wood members such as top plates, studs and trusses, and it handles both tension and compression loads. The unique rolled edges of the strap allow it to span gaps as wide as 4 1/2", and its 1 1/2" width enables installation on the narrow face of 2x lumber.
- Tested specifically for top/bottom plate repair with various multi-strap configurations
- Meets the requirements of the IBC and IRC for repairing top plates that have been cut or notched to accommodate plumbing or HVAC ductwork
- 14 gauge
- Use all specified fasteners; see General Notes.
- One-sided installations — install one or two CTS straps on the same side of the member.
- Two-sided installation — install CTS straps on opposite sides of member. For three-part installations, install two parts on one side, one part on opposite side.
Many of these products are approved for installation with Strong-Drive® SD Connector screws.
- Allowable loads have been increased for wind or earthquake loading with no further increase allowed. Reduce where other loads govern.
- Fastener quantities are for a single strap.
- Maximum gap between wood members is 4 1/2".
- Fasteners: Nail dimensions in the table are diameter by length. SD screws are Simpson Strong-Tie® Strong-Drive SD Connector screws. For additional information, see Fastener Types and Sizes Specified for Simpson Strong-Tie Connectors.
Code Reports & Compliance