ABA/ABU/ABW Adjustable and Standoff Post Bases
The AB series of retrofit adjustable post bases provide a 1" standoff for the post, are slotted for adjustability and can be installed with nails, Strong-Drive® SD Connector screws or bolts (ABU). Depending on the application needs, these adjustable standoff post bases are designed for versatility, cost-effectiveness and maximum uplift performance.
- The slot in the base enables flexible positioning around the anchor bolt, making precise post placement easier
- The 1" standoff helps prevent rot at the end of the post and meets code requirements for structural posts installed in basements or exposed to weather or water splash
- Varies (see model table)
- All galvanized. Most offered in ZMAX® coating. See Corrosion Information.
- Use all specified fasteners; see General Notes.
- See our Anchoring and Fastening Systems for Concrete and Masonry catalog for retrofit anchor options or reference technical bulletin Anchoring Solutions for Simpson Strong-Tie® Connectors in Wind and Low-Seismic Regions (T-ANCHORSPEC).
- Post bases do not provide adequate resistance to prevent members from rotating about the base and therefore are not recommended for non-top-supported installations (such as fences or unbraced carports).
- Place the base, load transfer plate and nut on the anchor bolt. Loosely tighten the nut.
- Some products may be installed with the Strong-Drive® SD Connector screw; see model table.
Place the standoff base and then the post in the ABW and fasten on three vertical sides, using nails or Strong-Drive SD Connector screws
– Make any necessary adjustments to post placement and tighten the nut securely on the anchor bolt
– Bend up the fourth side of the ABW and fasten using the correct fasteners
Place the standoff base and then the post in the ABU
– Fasten using nails or Strong-Drive SD Connector screws or bolts (ABU88Z, ABU1010Z, ABU1212Z – SDS optional)
Place the post in the ABA
– Fasten using nails or Strong-Drive SD Connector screws
Anchoring and Fastening Systems for Concrete and Masonry Catalog 2016-2017C-A-2016C-A-2016 is a 2-year, 340-page catalog detailing Simpson Strong-Tie products used for anchoring into concrete and masonry. Updates include new anchor products within adhesives and mechanical anchors.Catalog
Sistemas de anclaje y sujeción para concreto y mampostería 2016-2017C-A-2016SPEl catálogo C-A-2016SP de 340 páginas proporciona información detallada de anclajes Simpson Strong-Tie para concreto y mampostería, incluidos nuevos productos de anclaje adhesivo y anclaje mecánico.Catalog
High Wind-Resistant Construction Application GuideF-C-HWRCAG16The newly updated High Wind-Resistant Construction Application Guide offers new applications, updated loads, as well as more fastening information that is used to resist high-wind.Product Guide
Deck Connection and Fastening GuideF-DECKCODE17A guide to recognizing deck deficiencies and building safer, stronger, longer-lasting outdoor deck structures.Product Guide
Do Your Decks Meet Code?/Patio Cover SystemDIY-DECKPATIO16A two-sided tearpad showing connections on one side, while the other side shows the connectors and fasteners needed for a patio cover system. Newer product recommendations are included.Flier
Flood-Resistant Construction Guide for Flood-Prone RegionsF-C-FLOODCON13This flier is designed to educate Specifiers, Building Officials, and Dealers about how to build code-compliant structures to resist the forces created by flooding and high wind.Flier
Load-Rated Solutions for Securing DuraPine™ Columns from CoxS-C-23COXHC16S-C-23COXHC16 is a two-page flier featuring Post Bases and Caps product information that are tested and assigned load values specific for use with Cox DuraPine hollow columns.Flier
Load-Rated Solutions for Securing RealPost™ Columns from WoodtoneS-C-23WDTONE16S-C-WDTONE16 is a two-page flier featuring Post Bases and Caps product information that are tested and assigned load values specific for use with Woodtone RealPost hollow columns.Flier
Critical Deck Connections - CanadaS-DECKCONCTP12A color tearpad targeting DIY’ers as an educational reference guide for safe deck construction. The piece outlines the vital components of a deck constructed with a continuous load path in mind.Flier
Critical Deck Connections (French) / Assemblages essentiels d'une terrasse (en français)S-DECKCONCTP12FFlier
DIY Done Right - Make Your Home Projects EasierS-HOMEPRJCTS14A 32-page color brochure showing examples of DIY project ideas using Simpson Strong-Tie® products, including decks, patio covers, fences, and garage organization.Flier
DIY Done Right - Facilitamos los proyectos para su casaS-HOMPRJCTS14SPFlier
Installer's Pocket GuideS-C-INSTALL16S-C-INSTALL16 is a guide featuring updated products, new color illustrations and easier navigation. Some popular structural fastening and anchoring products have also been added.Installation Guide
Anchoring Solutions for Simpson Strong-Tie® Connectors in Wind and Low-Seismic RegionsT-ANCHORSPEC12A cross-reference to help evaluate the anchorage solution options for Simpson Strong-Tie holdowns, tension ties and post bases. Extensive details included for various foundation types.Technical Bulletin
Connectors Installed on SCL ColumnsT-C-SCLCLM16A one-page, single-sided technical bulletin discussing the structural properties of the two different surface sides of SCL columns, including the listing of reduction factors.Technical Bulletin
Connectors Installed on SCL ColumnsT-C-SCLCLMCAN17A one-page Canadian Limit States version of the technical bulletin discussing the structural properties of two different surface sides of columns made from structural composite lumber (SCL).Technical Bulletin
Use of Power-Driven Nails with Simpson Strong-Tie® ConnectorsT-PNEUMATIC12This technical bulletin discusses the use of pneumatically driven nails with Simpson Strong-Tie® connectors. Includes a list of connectors that may be installed with pneumatic nails.Technical Bulletin
ABU Supporting a BeamL-C-ABUBEAM17Simpson Strong-Tie® ABU Adjustable Post Base Supporting a Beam.Engineering Letter
Show 16 MoreShow Less
Load Values with Nails
These models are approved for installation with the Strong-Drive® SD Connector screw. See the load values below.
- Uplift loads have been increased for wind or earthquake with no further increase allowed; reduce where other loads govern.
- Downloads may not be increased for short-term loading.
- Specifier to design concrete for uplift capacity.
- ABU products may be installed with either bolts or nails (not both) to achieve table loads. ABU88Z, ABU88R, ABU1010Z, ABU1010RZ, and ABU1212Z/RZ may be installed with (8) 1/4" x 3" Strong-Drive® SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws (sold separately) for the same table load.
- For AB bases, higher download can be achieved by solidly packing grout under 1" standoff plate before installation. Base download on column, grout, or concrete according to the code.
- HB dimension is the distance from the bottom of the post up to the first bolt hole.
- Structural composite lumber columns have sides that show either the wide face or the edges of the lumber strands/veneers. For SCL columns, the fasteners for these products should always be installed in the wide face.
- Downloads shall be reduced where limited by the capacity of the post. See Post Capacities for common post allowable loads.
- NAILS: 16d = 0.162" dia. x 3 1/2" long, 10d = 0.148" dia. x 3" long. See other nail sizes and information.
|Model No.||Nominal Post Size||Fastener||Allowable Loads (DF/SP)|
|Anch. Dia.||Post||Uplift (160)||Down (100)|
|Part||IAPMO UES ER||ICC-ES ESR||City of Los Angeles||State of Florida|
|ABA||See specific model numbers for code listings.|
|ABA44RZ||No code listing. Please contact us for test data.|
|ABA44Z||ESR-1622 ESR-2523 ESR-3096||RR25910||FL10860|
|ABA46R||ESR-1622 ESR-2523 ESR-3096||RR25910||FL10860|
|ABA46Z||ESR-1622 ESR-2523 ESR-3096||RR25910||FL10860|
|ABA66RZ||No code listing. Please contact us for test data.|
|ABA66Z||ESR-1622 ESR-2523 ESR-3096||RR25910||FL10860|
|ABU||See specific model numbers for code listings.|
|ABU1010RZ||No code listing. Please contact us for test data.|
|ABU1010Z||No code listing. Please contact us for test data.|
|ABU1212RZ||Submitted for listing: Please contact us for status and test data.|
|ABU1212Z||Submitted for listing: Please contact us for status and test data.|
|ABU44Z||ESR-1622 ESR-2523 ESR-3096||RR25712 RR25910||FL10860|
|ABU46RZ||No code listing. Please contact us for test data.|
|ABU5-5||No code listing. Please contact us for test data.|
|ABU5-6||No code listing. Please contact us for test data.|
|ABU66RZ||No code listing. Please contact us for test data.|
|ABU88R||No code listing: Please contact us for test data.|
|ABU88Z||No code listing. Please contact us for test data.|
|ABW||See specific model numbers for code listings.|
|ABW7-7Z||No code listing: Please contact us for test data.|
ESR-2523 is an Index of many of Simpson Strong-Tie Stamped and Welded Cold-formed Steel Products for Wood or Cold-formed Steel Construction