ABA/ABU/ABW Adjustable and Standoff Post Bases
The AB series of retrofit adjustable post bases provide a 1" standoff for the post, are slotted for adjustability and can be installed with nails, Strong-Drive® SD Connector screws or bolts (ABU). Depending on the application needs, these adjustable standoff post bases are designed for versatility, cost-effectiveness and maximum uplift performance.
- The slot in the base enables flexible positioning around the anchor bolt, making precise post placement easier
- The 1" standoff helps prevent rot at the end of the post and meets code requirements for structural posts installed in basements or exposed to weather or water splash
Varies (see model table)
All galvanized, most offered in ZMAX® coating. See Corrosion Information.
- Use all specified fasteners. See General Notes.
- See our Anchoring and Fastening Systems for Concrete and Masonry catalog for retrofit anchor options or reference technical bulletin Anchoring Solutions for Simpson Strong-Tie® Connectors in Wind and Low-Seismic Regions (T-ANCHORSPEC).
- Post bases do not provide adequate resistance to prevent members from rotating about the base and therefore are not recommended for non top-supported installations (such as fences or unbraced carports).
- Place the base, load transfer plate and nut on the anchor bolt. Loosely tighten the nut.
- Some products may be installed with the Strong-Drive® SD Connector screw. See model table.
- View step-by-step installation instructions in the Installer's Pocket Guide (S-C-INSTALL).
– Place the standoff base and then the post in the ABW and fasten on three vertical sides, using nails or Strong-Drive SD structural-connector screws.
– Make any necessary adjustments to post placement and tighten the nut securely on the anchor bolt.
– Bend up the fourth side of the ABW and fasten using the correct fasteners.
– Place the standoff base and then the post in the ABU.
– Fasten using nails or Strong-Drive SD structural connector screws or bolts (ABU88, ABU1010 – SDS optional).
– Place the post in the ABA.
– Fasten using nails or Strong-Drive SD Screws.
Additional standoff bases available. See CPS/PBV.
Conectores Metálicos Estructurales 2013-2015C-2013SPInformación completa de productos, de la aplicación, de las tablas de cargas y de la instalación, para conectores Simpson Strong-Tie® de madera a madera, madera a concreto y concreto a mampostería.Catalog
High Wind-Resistant Construction Application GuideF-C-HWRCAG16The newly updated High Wind-Resistant Construction Application Guide offers new applications, updated loads, as well as more fastening information that is used to resist high-wind.Product Guide
Do Your Decks Meet Code?/Patio Cover SystemDIY-DECKPATIO16A two-sided tearpad showing connections on one side, while the other side shows the connectors and fasteners needed for a patio cover system. Newer product recommendations are included.Flier
Flood-Resistant Construction Guide for Flood-Prone RegionsF-C-FLOODCON13This flier is designed to educate Specifiers, Building Officials, and Dealers about how to build code-compliant structures to resist the forces created by flooding and high wind.Flier
Load-Rated Solutions for Securing DuraPine™ Columns from CoxS-C-23COXHC16S-C-23COXHC16 is a two-page flier featuring Post Bases and Caps product information that are tested and assigned load values specific for use with Cox DuraPine hollow columns.Flier
Load-Rated Solutions for Securing RealPost™ Columns from WoodtoneS-C-23WDTONE16S-C-WDTONE16 is a two-page flier featuring Post Bases and Caps product information that are tested and assigned load values specific for use with Woodtone RealPost hollow columns.Flier
Deck Connection and Fastening GuideF-DECKCODE13This guide provides a range of info that makes it user-friendly for DIY and novice contractors while retaining a level of detail for more experienced builders.Flier
Critical Deck ConnectionsS-DECKCONTP12A color tearpad targeting DIY’ers as an educational reference guide for safe deck construction. The piece outlines the vital components of a deck constructed with a continuous load path in mind.Flier
Critical Deck Connections - CanadaS-DECKCONCTP12A color tearpad targeting DIY’ers as an educational reference guide for safe deck construction. The piece outlines the vital components of a deck constructed with a continuous load path in mind.Flier
Critical Deck Connections (French) / Assemblages essentiels d'une terrasse (en français)S-DECKCONCTP12FFlier
DIY Done Right - Make Your Home Projects EasierS-HOMEPRJCTS14A 32-page color brochure showing examples of DIY project ideas using Simpson Strong-Tie® products, including decks, patio covers, fences, and garage organization.Flier
DIY Done Right - Facilitamos los proyectos para su casaS-HOMPRJCTS14SPFlier
Installer's Pocket GuideS-C-INSTALL16S-C-INSTALL16 is a guide featuring updated products, new color illustrations and easier navigation. Some popular structural fastening and anchoring products have also been added.Installation Guide
Anchoring Solutions for Simpson Strong-Tie® Connectors in Wind and Low-Seismic RegionsT-ANCHORSPEC12A cross-reference to help evaluate the anchorage solution options for Simpson Strong-Tie holdowns, tension ties and post bases. Extensive details included for various foundation types.Technical Bulletin
Connectors Installed on SCL ColumnsT-C-SCLCLM16A one-page, single-sided technical bulletin discussing the structural properties of the two different surface sides of SCL columns, including the listing of reduction factors.Technical Bulletin
Connectors Installed on SCL Columns, Limit States DesignT-C-SCLCLMCAN13This technical bulletin for Canadian Limit States discusses the structural properties of the two different surface sides of columns made from structural composite lumber.Technical Bulletin
Use of Power-Driven Nails with Simpson Strong-Tie® ConnectorsT-PNEUMATIC12This technical bulletin discusses the use of pneumatically driven nails with Simpson Strong-Tie® connectors. Includes a list of connectors that may be installed with pneumatic nails.Technical Bulletin
ABU Supporting a BeamL-C-ABUBEAM15Simpson Strong-Tie® ABU Adjustable Post Base Supporting a Beam.Engineering Letter
Extension of ABU series: ABU1212ZL-C-ABU1212Z16Allowable Loads for Simpson Strong-Tie® ABU1212Z Retrofit Adjustable Post BaseEngineering Letter
Show 17 MoreShow Less
Load Values with Nails
These models are approved for installation with the Strong-Drive® SD Connector screw. See the load values below.
- Uplift loads have been increased for wind or earthquake with no further increase allowed; reduce where other loads govern.
- Downloads may not be increased for short-term loading.
- Specifier to design concrete for uplift capacity.
- ABU products may be installed with either bolts or nails (not both) to achieve table loads. ABU88Z, ABU88R, ABU1010Z and ABU1010RZ may be installed with 8-1⁄4"x3" Strong-Drive® SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws (sold separately) for the same table load.
- For AB bases, higher download can be achieved by solidly packing grout under 1" standoff plate before installation. Base download on column, grout, or concrete according to the code.
- HB dimension is the distance from the bottom of the post up to the first bolt hole.
- Structural composite lumber columns have sides that show either the wide face or the edges of the lumber strands/veneers. For SCL columns, the fasteners for these products should always be installed in the wide face.
- Downloads shall be reduced where limited by the capacity of the post. See Post Capacities for common post allowable loads.
- NAILS: 16d = 0.162" dia. x 3 1/2" long, 10d = 0.148" dia. x 3" long. See other nail sizes and information.
|Model No.||Nominal Post Size||Fastener||Allowable Loads (DF/SP)|
|Anch. Dia.||Post||Uplift (160)||Down (100)|
|Part||IAPMO UES ER||ICC-ES ESR||City of Los Angeles||State of Florida|
|ABA||See specific model numbers for code listings.|
|ABA44RZ||No code listing. Please contact us for test data.|
|ABA44Z||ESR-1622 ESR-2523 ESR-3096||RR25910||FL10860|
|ABA46R||ESR-1622 ESR-2523 ESR-3096||RR25910||FL10860|
|ABA46Z||ESR-1622 ESR-2523 ESR-3096||RR25910||FL10860|
|ABA66RZ||No code listing. Please contact us for test data.|
|ABA66Z||ESR-1622 ESR-2523 ESR-3096||RR25910||FL10860|
|ABU||See specific model numbers for code listings.|
|ABU1010RZ||No code listing. Please contact us for test data.|
|ABU1010Z||No code listing. Please contact us for test data.|
|ABU44Z||ESR-1622 ESR-2523 ESR-3096||RR25712 RR25910||FL10860|
|ABU46RZ||No code listing. Please contact us for test data.|
|ABU5-5||No code listing. Please contact us for test data.|
|ABU5-6||No code listing. Please contact us for test data.|
|ABU66RZ||No code listing. Please contact us for test data.|
|ABU88R||No code listing: Please contact us for test data.|
|ABU88Z||No code listing. Please contact us for test data.|
|ABW||See specific model numbers for code listings.|
ESR-2523 is an Index of many of Simpson Strong-Tie Stamped and Welded Cold-formed Steel Products for Wood or Cold-formed Steel Construction