ABA Adjustable Post Base
On This Page
The ABA is designed to attach wooden posts to existing concrete. The built-in 1" standoff of this adjustable post base helps to prevent rot at the end of the post. The ABA has a slotted anchor hole in the base for adjustability and attaches to the post with nails or Strong-Drive® SD Connector screws. This versatile post base makes a cost-effective option for securing a post to the foundation.
- The slot in the base enables flexibility around the anchor bolt, making precise post placement easier
- 1" stand-off design meets code requirements for structural posts installed in basements or exposed to weather or water splash
- Increased uplift loads for earthquake or wind loading
- See table
- ZMAX®; see Corrosion Information
- Use all specified fasteners; see General Notes.
- See our Anchoring, Fastening and Restoration Systems for Concrete and Masonry catalog for retrofit anchor options, such as Titen HD®, Stainless-Steel Titen HD or SET-3G™.
- Post bases do not provide adequate resistance to prevent members from rotating about the base and therefore are not recommended for non-top-supported installations (such as fences or unbraced carports).
- Place the base, cut washer(s) and nut(s) on the anchor bolt(s). Make any necessary adjustments to post placement and tighten the nut securely on the anchor bolt.
- Place the post in the ABA and fasten using nails or Strong-Drive SD Connector screws.
Product Information Table
|Model No.||Nominal Post Size||Ga.||W (in.)||H (in.)||L (in.)||Coating/Material||Packaging Qty.|
|ABA44RZ||4x4 rough||16||4 1/16||2 13/16||3 1/8||ZMAX®||1|
|ABA44Z||4x4||16||3 9/16||3 1/16||3 3/8||ZMAX®||1|
|ABA46RZ||4x6 rough||14||4 1/16||2 7/8||5 3/16||ZMAX®||1|
|ABA46Z||4x6||14||3 9/16||3 1/8||5 3/16||ZMAX®||1|
|ABA66RZ||6x6 rough||14||6||2 7/8||5 3/16||ZMAX®||1|
|ABA66Z||6x6||14||5 1/2||3 1/8||5 3/8||ZMAX®||1|
Allowable Loads — Post Installation
These products are available with additional corrosion protection.
Many of these products are approved for installation with Strong-Drive® SD Connector screws.
|Model No.||Nominal Post Size||Material (ga.)||Dimensions (in.)||Fasteners||Allowable Loads (DF/SP)|
|Base||Strap||W||L||H||Anchor Dia. (in.)||Nails (in.)||Uplift||Down (100)|
|ABA44Z||4x4||16||16||3 9/16||3 3/8||3 1/16||1/2||(6) 0.148 x 3||690||5,925|
|ABA44RZ||Rough 4x4||16||16||4 1/16||3 1/8||2 13/16||1/2||(6) 0.148 x 3||655||7,215|
|ABA46Z||4x6||14||14||3 9/16||5 3/16||3 1/8||5/8||(8) 0.162 x 3 1/2||870||10,500|
|ABA46RZ||Rough 4x6||14||14||4 1/16||5 3/16||2 7/8||5/8||(8) 0.162 x 3 1/2||870||10,695|
|ABA66Z||6x6||14||14||5 1/2||5 3/8||3 1/8||5/8||(8) 0.162 x 3 1/2||850||10,245|
|ABA66RZ||Rough 6x6||14||14||6||5 3/16||2 7/8||5/8||(8) 0.162 x 3 1/2||850||11,500|
- Uplift loads have been increased for earthquake or wind loading with no further increase allowed. Reduce where other loads govern.
- Downloads may not be increased for short-term loading.
- Specifier is to design concrete and anchorage for uplift capacity.
- For higher downloads, pack grout solid under 1" standoff plate before installation. Base download on column or concrete, according to the code.
- Structural composite lumber columns have sides that show either the wide face or the edges of the lumber strands/veneers. For SCL columns, the fasteners for these products should always be installed in the wide face.
- Downloads shall be reduced where limited by capacity of the post.
- Fasteners: Nail dimensions in the table are listed diameter by length. For additional information, see Fastener Types and Sizes Specified for Simpson Strong-Tie Connectors.
Load Values with Strong-Drive® SD Connector Screws
|Model No.||Dimensions (in.)||Fasteners
|Allowable Loads (lbs)1,2|
CD=1.0, CD=1.5, CD=1.25
|ABA44||3 9/16||3 1/8||3 1/16||1/2||6-SD9112||610||6,000|
|ABA44R||4 1/16||3 1/8||2 13/16||1/2||6-SD9112||610||8,000|
|ABA46||3 9/16||5 3/16||3 1/8||5/8||8-SD10112||940||9,435|
|ABA46R||4 1/16||5 3/16||2 7/8||5/8||8-SD10112||940||12,000|
|ABA66||5 1/2||5 1/4||3 1/8||5/8||8-SD10112||970||10,665|
|ABA66R||6||5 3/16||2 7/8||5/8||8-SD10112||970||12,665|
- Tabulated allowable loads have been adjusted for load duration factors, CD, as shown, in accordance with the NDS, and are not permitted to be adjusted for other durations.
- Anchor bolts and concrete footings must be capable of resisting all loads and forces transferred from the post base connector.
Code Reports & Compliance