SHH Steel Header Hanger
On This Page
The SHH steel header hanger is used to support traditional CFS box headers that are fabricated with top and bottom tracks, as well as large-flange lay-in headers that are common in curtain-wall construction. The connector geometry minimizes drywall buildup, and the screw count has been minimized through extensive testing. A wide array of value-engineered hole patterns are available that will accommodate different load levels while minimizing installed cost.
- The bottom tabs transfer wind load from the horizontal window header to the jamb studs and help support the header assembly during installation.
- Tabulated loads are based on component assembly testing, which assists to mitigate design risk.
- The SHH6 is manufactured in steel thicknesses of 54 mil (16 ga.) and 68 mil (14 ga.) that are intended for use with 6"-deep (min.) box headers, and the SHH3 is manufactured from 68 mil (14 ga.) steel and is intended for 3 5/8" or 4"-deep (max.) box headers and large-flange lay-in headers.
- To enable easier drywall installation, the gusset portion of the SHH is coped to avoid 1 1/2" (max.) track legs.
- The screw-hole layout at the jamb studs accommodates flange sizes of 1 5/8", 2", 2 1/2", 3" and 3 1/2". This versatility allows the load to be evenly distributed along two lines of fasteners so that each jamb stud carries equal axial load with minimum eccentricity.
- SHH3 /68 — 68 mil (14 ga.), 40 ksi; SHH6 /54 — 54 mil (16 ga.), 40 ksi; SHH6 /68 — 68 mil (14 ga.), 40 ksi
- Galvanized (G90)
- Use all specified anchors/fasteners.
- At each connection to a jamb stud, use one SHH connector on each side of the header. A 1/8" (max.) gap is allowed between the end of the header and the face of the jamb stud. Use all specified fasteners.
- SHH3/68-KT24, SHH6/54-KT24 and SHH6/68-KT24 are each packaged as boxes of 12 right-handed connectors and 12 left-handed connectors
- US Patent 11,078,665
SHH Allowable Steel Header Hanger Connector Loads for Both Clips (lb.)
- Screws must be located in screw hole locations shown in SHH screw patterns to achieve listed loads. See image gallery for illustrations.
- Connectors must be installed in pairs. Fasteners listed are number of fasteners for both clips in the connection at one end of header.
- Allowable load is total load at one end of header assembly with both clips (left hand and right hand).
Code Reports & Compliance