SHH Steel Header Hanger
The SHH steel header hanger is used to support traditional CFS box headers that are fabricated with top and bottom tracks, as well as large-flange lay-in headers that are common in curtain-wall construction. The connector geometry minimizes drywall buildup, and the screw count has been minimized through extensive testing. A wide array of value-engineered hole patterns are available that will accommodate different load levels while minimizing installed cost.
- The bottom tabs transfer wind load from the horizontal window header to the jamb studs and help support the header assembly during installation.
- Tabulated loads are based on component assembly testing, which assists to mitigate design risk.
- The SHH6 is manufactured in steel thicknesses of 54 mil (16 ga.) and 68 mil (14 ga.) that are intended for use with 6"-deep (min.) box headers, and the SHH3 is manufactured from 68 mil (14 ga.) steel and is intended for 3 5/8" or 4"-deep (max.) box headers and large-flange lay-in headers.
- To enable easier drywall installation, the gusset portion of the SHH is coped to avoid 1 1/2" (max.) track legs.
- The screw-hole layout at the jamb studs accommodates flange sizes of 1 5/8", 2", 2 1/2", 3" and 3 1/2". This versatility allows the load to be evenly distributed along two lines of fasteners so that each jamb stud carries equal axial load with minimum eccentricity.
- Galvanized (G90)
- Use all specified anchors/fasteners.
- At each connection to a jamb stud, use one SHH connector on each side of the header. A 1/8" (max.) gap is allowed between the end of the header and the face of the jamb stud. Use all specified fasteners.
- SHH3/68-KT24, SHH6/54-KT24 and SHH6/68-KT24 are each packaged as boxes of 12 right-handed connectors and 12 left-handed connectors
- US Patent 11,078,665
Product Information Table
|Model No.||Thickness (mil)||Ga.||H (in.)||L (in.)||Product Includes||Coating/Material||Packaging Qty.|
|SHH3/68-KT24||68||14||4 3/8||5 5/8||Packaged as box of 12 right-handed connectors and 12 left-handed connectors||Zinc Galvanized, G90||24|
|SHH6/54-KT24||54||16||7 3/16||5 5/8||Packaged as box of 12 right-handed connectors and 12 left-handed connectors||Zinc Galvanized, G90||24|
|SHH6/68-KT24||68||14||7 3/16||5 5/8||Packaged as box of 12 right-handed connectors and 12 left-handed connectors||Zinc Galvanized, G90||24|
SHH Allowable Steel Header Hanger Connector Loads for Both Clips (lb.)
- Screws must be located in screw hole locations shown in SHH screw patterns to achieve listed loads. See image gallery for illustrations.
- Connectors must be installed in pairs. Fasteners listed are number of fasteners for both clips in the connection at one end of header.
- Allowable load is total load at one end of header assembly with both clips (left hand and right hand).
Code Reports & Compliance