H2.5A Hurricane Tie
On This Page
The H2.5A single-sided hurricane tie is designed to resist moderate loads at the rafter/truss-to-top-plate connection. As part of a continuous load path, the H2.5A resists both lateral and uplift loads. The symmetrical design eliminates the need for separate right and left parts.
- Embossments in bend line strengthen connection
- The top plate flange features an arrow line indicator to aid correct installation
- The H2.5ASS model is in stainless steel for improved corrosion resistance
- 18 ga.
- Galvanized (G90), stainless steel or ZMAX® coating; see Corrosion Information
- Use all specified fasteners; see General Notes.
- Hurricane ties do not replace solid blocking.
- When installing ties on plated trusses (on the side opposite the truss plate) do not fasten through the truss plate from behind. This can force the truss plate off of the truss and compromise truss performance.
Product Information Table
|Model No.||Ga.||W (in.)||H (in.)||Coating/Material||Packaging Qty.|
|H2.5A||18||1 3/8||6||Zinc Galvanized, G90||1|
|H2.5ASS||18||1 3/8||6||Stainless Steel||1|
Load Values with Carbon Steel Nails
These products are available with additional corrosion protection.
For stainless-steel fasteners, see Fastener Types and Sizes Specified for Simpson Strong-Tie Connectors.
H2.5A approved for installation with Strong-Drive® SD Connector screws.
- See Straps and Ties General Notes.
- Allowable loads are for one anchor. A minimum rafter thickness of 2 1/2" must be used when framing anchors are used on each side of the joist and on the same side of the plate (exception: connectors installed such that nails on opposite side don't interfere).
- Allowable DF/SP uplift load for stud-to-bottom plate installation (see detail 12) is 390 lb. (H2.5A) and 265 lb. (H2.5ASS). For SPF/HF values, multiply these values by 0.86.
- Allowable loads in the F1 direction are not intended to replace diaphragm boundary members and do not account for possible cross-grain bending of the truss or rafter members.
- When cross-grain bending or cross-grain tension cannot be avoided in the members, mechanical reinforcement to resist such forces shall be considered by the designer.
- Hurricane ties are shown installed on the outside of the wall for clarity and assume a minimum overhang of 3 1/2". Installation on the inside of the wall is acceptable. For uplift Continuous Load Path, connections in the same area (i.e., truss-to-plate connector and plate-to-stud connector) must be on same side of the wall.
- Refer to Simpson Strong-Tie® technical bulletin T-C-HTIEBEAR for allowable bearing enhancement loads.
- Some load values for the stainless-steel connectors shown here are lower than those for the carbon-steel versions. Ongoing test programs have shown this also to be the case with other stainless-steel connectors in the product line that are installed with nails. Visit General Corrosion Risks for updated information.
- The allowable loads of stainless-steel connectors match carbon-steel connectors when installed with stainless-steel Strong-Drive® SCNR Ring-Shank Connector nails. For more information, refer to engineering letter L-F-SSNAILS.
- Southern pine allowable uplift loads for the H2.5A with 0.131" X 1 1/2" nails = 635 lb. (160) and for the H2.5A with 0.131" X 2 1/2" nails = 730 lb. (160).
- Allowable DF/SP/SPF uplift load for the H2.5A fastened to a 2x4 truss bottom chord and double top plates using (5) 0.131" x 1 1/2" nails in the top plates and (3) 0.131" x 1 1/2" nails in the lowest three flange holes into the truss bottom chord is 260 lb. (160).
- Simpson Strong-Tie offers stainless-steel Strong-Drive® SCNR Ring-Shank Connector nails. SCNR nails are available in paper-collated strips and in bulk for hand-drive fastening. See general fastener information.
- For simultaneous loads in more than one direction, the connector must be evaluated using either the Unity Equation or the 75% Rule, as described in Straps and Ties General Notes.
- Fasteners: Nail dimensions in the table are listed diameter by length. For general fastener information, see Fastener Types and Sizes Specified for Simpson Strong-Tie Connectors.
|Model No.||Fasteners||DF/SP Allowable Loads||SPF/HF Allowable Loads|
|To Rafters/ Truss||To Plates/ Base||To Studs/ Post||Uplift||Lateral||Uplift||Lateral|
|(160)||F1 (160)||F2 (160)||(160)||F1 (160)||F2 (160)|
H2.5A is available with additional corrosion protection.
Code Reports & Compliance