H8 Hurricane Tie
On This Page
The H8 single-sided hurricane tie is designed to resist moderate loads at the top of a wall connection. Provides a connection as part of a continuous load path to resist wind and seismic forces. The H8 is versatile and has been tested for connecting I-joist rafters to double top plates as well as studs to sill plates.
- Approved for installation with load-rated Strong-Drive® SD Connector screws
- Use also for a variety of connections where one member crosses another
- Can be installed with flanges facing either inward or outward
- 18 ga.
- Galvanized (G90), stainless steel or ZMAX® coating; see Corrosion Information
- Use all specified fasteners; see General Notes.
- Hurricane ties do not replace solid blocking.
- When installing ties on plated trusses (on the side opposite the truss plate) do not fasten through the truss plate from behind. This can force the truss plate off of the truss and compromise truss performance.
Product Information Table
|Model No.||Ga.||W (in.)||H (in.)||Coating/Material||Packaging Qty.|
|H8||18||1 1/4||8||Zinc Galvanized, G90||1|
|H8SS||18||1 1/4||8||Stainless Steel||1|
Load Values with Carbon Steel Nails
These products are available with additional corrosion protection.
For stainless-steel fasteners, see Fastener Types and Sizes Specified for Simpson Strong-Tie Connectors.
H8 approved for installation with Strong-Drive® SD Connector screws.
|Model No.||Ga.||Fasteners (in.)||DF/SP Allowable Loads||Uplift with
0.131" x 1 1/2"
|SPF/HF Allowable Loads||Uplift with 0.131" x 1 1/2" Nails
|To Rafters/ Truss||To Plates||To Studs||Uplift||Lateral (160)||Uplift||Lateral (160)|
|H8||18||(5) 0.148 x 1 1/2||(5) 0.148 x 1 1/2||—||780||95||90||630||710||95||90||510|
|H8SS||18||(5) 0.148 x 1 1/2||(5) 0.148 x 1 1/2||—||610||90||120||440||370||90||55||335|
- See Straps and Ties General Notes.
- Allowable loads are for one anchor. A minimum rafter thickness of 2 1/2" must be used when framing anchors are used on each side of the joist and on the same side of the plate (exception: connectors installed such that nails on opposite side don't interfere).
- Allowable DF/SP uplift load for stud-to-bottom plate installation is 310 lb. using (4) 0.131" x 2.5" nails into plate and (5) 0.131" x 2.5" nails into stud (see image gallery for installation illustration). For SPF/HF values, multiply these values by 0.86.
- Allowable loads in the F1 direction are not intended to replace diaphragm boundary members and do not account for possible cross-grain bending of the truss or rafter members.
- When cross-grain bending or cross-grain tension cannot be avoided in the members, mechanical reinforcement to resist such forces shall be considered by the designer.
- Hurricane ties are shown installed on the outside of the wall for clarity and assume a minimum overhang of 3 1/2". Installation on the inside of the wall is acceptable. For uplift Continuous Load Path, connections in the same area (i.e., truss-to-plate connector and plate-to-stud connector) must be on same side of the wall.
- Some load values for the stainless-steel connectors shown here are lower than those for the carbon-steel versions. Ongoing test programs have shown this also to be the case with other stainless-steel connectors in the product line that are installed with nails. Visit General Corrosion Risks for updated information.
- The allowable loads of stainless-steel connectors match carbon-steel connectors when installed with stainless-steel Strong-Drive® SCNR Ring-Shank Connector nails. For more information, refer to engineering letter L-F-SSNAILS.
- Simpson Strong-Tie offers stainless-steel Strong-Drive® SCNR Ring-Shank Connector nails. SCNR nails are available in paper-collated strips and in bulk for hand-drive fastening. See general fastener information.
- For simultaneous loads in more than one direction, the connector must be evaluated using either the Unity Equation or the 75% Rule, as described in Straps and Ties General Notes.
- Fasteners: Nail dimensions in the table are listed diameter by length. For additional information, see Fastener Types and Sizes Specified for Simpson Strong-Tie Connectors.
|Model No.||Fasteners||DF/SP Allowable Loads||SPF/HF Allowable Loads|
|To Rafters/ Truss||To Plates/ Base||To Studs/ Post||Uplift||Lateral||Uplift||Lateral|
|(160)||F1 (160)||F2 (160)||(160)||F1 (160)||F2 (160)|
Code Reports & Compliance