HPT Hurricane Tie
The HPT hurricane tie provides a key rafter-to-wall connection for retrofit applications located in Hawaii.
The HPT is specially designed and tested for single-wall homes and meets Hawaii state requirements for uplift resistance. The unique design of the HPT connects the wall to the rafter, avoiding interference from the blocking. The strengthened transition area of the HPT helps the structure resist high wind and allows the transfer of forces from the roof to the wall to help prevent damage. For applications where the blocking does not interfere, the H3Z is the recommended solution. The H3Z also meets Hawaii state requirements for uplift resistance. H3SS is stainless steel for maximum corrosion resistance.
- ZMAX®. Also available in stainless steel. See Corrosion Information.
- Designed to meet the Hawaii Wind Resistive Devices (WRD) required minimum of 400 lbs. of allowable uplift capacity per the state of Hawaii’s loss mitigation program
- Installs easily with Simpson Strong-Tie® SD screws (one part per connection) OR with 10dx1 1/2 nails (two parts per connection). Either HPT connection requires an additional 1/4 x 1 1/2 Simpson Strong-Tie® Strong Drive® screw (SDS) at the trim board
- The HPTSS must be used in pairs and only with stainless-steel nails
Load Values with Nails
These models are approved for installation with the Strong-Drive® SD Connector screw. See the load values below.
- Loads have been increased 60% for earthquake or wind load, with no further increase allowed; reduce where other loads govern.
- In the nailed application, two HPTZ or HPTSS must be used as shown in installation images to achieve the minimum of 400 lbs required by the State of Hawaii.
- Parts are only shipped in equal quantities of lefts and rights.
- A Strong-Drive® screw is required at each connection to fasten the trim board to the wall board to transfer load to the exterior sheathing.
- Maximum trim board thickness for these installations is 3/4". For greater thickness use longer Strong-Drive screws, available in 2", 2 1/2" and 3" lengths.
N10 = 10dx1 1/2 = 0.148" dia. x 1 1/2" long, hot dip galvanized.
N8 = 8dx1 1/2 = 0.131" dia. x 1 1/2" long, hot dip galvanized.
SSN10 is 10dx1 1/2 stainless steel = 0.148" dia. x 1 1/2" long.
SSN8 is 8dx1 1/2 stainless steel = 0.131" dia. x 1 1/2" long.
SD10112 is Strong-Drive #10 screw x 1 1/2 = 0.164" dia. x 1 1/2" long.
SDS25112 is Strong-Drive Screw ¼" x 1 1/2 = 0.250" dia. x 1 1/2" long.
SDS25112SS is Strong-Drive Screw ¼" x 1 1/2 stainless steel = 0.250" dia. x 1 1/2" long.