PBV Post Base (for Viga Post)
The PBV is designed to make a hidden connection between viga posts and concrete. This circular, hidden standoff post base attaches to concrete with threaded rod and epoxy to the bottom of the viga post with Strong-Drive® SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws for a secure connection. The PBV comes in two different sizes to support a variety of projects.
- Round shape to match viga-style posts
- Black powder-coated finish
- 1" standoff to help prevent rot at the end of the post
- 14 gauge
- Black powder coat or galvanized
- Drill a 3/4"-diameter hole, 10" into the center of the post.
- Clean out sawdust. Fill hole halfway with Simpson Strong-Tie® SET-3G™ epoxy anchoring adhesive.
- Insert all-thread rod while twisting the rod, and allow the epoxy to set and cure.
- Secure standoff to post using four Strong-Drive SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws (sold separately).
- Drill a 3/4"-diameter hole per anchor design a min. 4 3/4" from the edge.
- Clean out dust. Fill hole halfway with Simpson Strong-Tie SET-3G epoxy anchoring adhesive. Insert post subassembly into hole, and allow the epoxy to set and cure.
- Post bases do not provide adequate resistance to prevent members from rotating about the base and therefore are not recommended for non-top-supported installations (such as fences or unbraced carports).
- For black powder coat, order PBV6PC or PBV10PC. For galvanized coating, order PBV6 or PBV10.
Product Information Table
|Model No.||Nominal Post Size||Ga.||L (in.)||H (in.)||Coating/Material||Packaging Qty.|
|PBV10||10" diameter||14||9 3/16||1||Zinc Galvanized, G90||1|
|PBV10PC||10" diameter||14||9 3/16||1||Powder Coating, Black||1|
|PBV6||6" diameter||14||5 1/4||1||Zinc Galvanized, G90||1|
|PBV6PC||6" diameter||14||5 1/4||1||Powder Coating, Black||1|
- Allowable uplift load capacities are based on round “Viga” (ponderosa pine) wood posts.
- All allowable uplift loads are based on a lowest ultimate load from testing divided by a safety factor of 4. Concrete anchorage to be designed by others; refer to the Simpson Strong-Tie® Anchoring, Fastening and Restoration Systems for Concrete and Masonry catalog. Uplift loads shall not exceed those shown in the table.
- Downloads are calculated based on the standoff bearing area and a concrete strength of 2,500 psi — except the PBV, which is based on the wood’s bearing strength (700 psi for ponderosa pine).
- Allowable loads may not be increased for the duration of the load.
- SDS screws are Simpson Strong-Tie Strong-Drive SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws. For additional information, see Fastener Types and Sizes Specified for Simpson Strong-Tie Connectors.
Code Reports & Compliance