Strong-Drive® SDWS TIMBER Screw (Exterior Grade)
On This Page
The Strong-Drive SDWS Timber screw is designed to provide an easy-to-install, high-strength alternative to through-bolting and traditional lag screws. This screw is ideal for the contractor and do-it-yourselfer alike. It is code listed in IAPMO UES ER-192 and meets 2018 and 2021 IRC® and IBC® code requirements for most common wood framing applications.
- Bold thread design provides superior holding power
- SawTooth® point ensures fast starts, reduces installation torque and eliminates the need for predrilling in most applications
- Underhead nibs allow for head to drive flush to surface with reduced splintering
- Large washer head provides a large bearing area
- Size identification on all SDWS screw heads
- 6-lobe T40 drive provides positive engagement that makes the screw easy to drive and improves bit life (replacement driver bit — BIT40T-134-R2)
- Double-barrier coating provides corrosion resistance equivalent to hot-dip galvanization, making it suitable for certain exterior and preservative-treated wood applications, as described in the evaluation report
- Structural wood-to-wood/engineered including ledgers; mass timber connections including CLT wall-to-wall, floor-to-floor, surface splines and lap joints
- Retail and mini-bulk packs include one 6-lobe, T40 driver bit; bulk packs include two driver bits (BIT40T-134-R2)
- Fastener Product Information: Fastening Systems (C-F-2023), page 59
- Fastener Technical Data and Loads:
See the Fastening Systems Technical Guide (C-F-2023TECHSUP) and refer to the Alphabetical Index for load tables, technical data and installation instructions for the Strong-Drive SDWS Timber Screw (Exterior Grade)
Fastening Systems Catalog
A catalog including new product information as well as any applicable specification and installation instructions for Simpson Strong-Tie® fasteners and Quik Drive® systems.
Fastening Systems Technical Guide
A technical document featuring engineering information for structural fasteners featured in the C-F-2023 Fastening Systems Catalog.
Guía técnica de los sistemas de sujeción
Un documento técnico información de ingeniería para los sujetadores estructurales que se incluyen en el C-F-2019SP Catálogo de sistemas de sujeción.
Sistemas de sujeción
Catálogo que incluye información sobre productos nuevos y las instrucciones de instalación y especificaciones correspondientes para los sujetadores Simpson Strong-Tie® y los sistemas Quik Drive®.
Fastening Systems Technical Supplement for Canada
A technical information addendum for Simpson Strong-Tie Fasteners in Canada.
Connectors and Fasteners for Mass Timber Construction Catalog
A catalog featuring connectors and fasteners for mass timber and CLT construction solutions.
Deck Connection and Fastening Guide
A guide to deck building and for retrofitting safer, longer-lasting outdoor decks, with 2018 and 2021 IRC/IBC code-compliant solutions for using the latest anchors, connectors and fasteners.
High Wind Guide
A comprehensive guide to help Designers select the most appropriate connections for challenging, high-wind regions.
Strong-Tie DIY - Projects for a strong and beautiful home
A booklet featuring practical and attractive DIY projects for home and yard using Simpson Strong-Tie® connectors and fasteners, including Outdoor Accents®.
Strong-Tie DIY - Proyectos para una casa resistente y hermosa
Un catálogo con proyectos prácticos y atractivos DIY para el hogar y el patio que utilizan conectores y sujetadores Simpson Strong-Tie® y accesorios Outdoor Accents®.
Properly Installed Ledgers. Faster.
A tear pad including updated features and benefits of the Strong-Drive® SDWS Timber and SDWH Timber-Hex screws.
Strong-Drive SDWS TIMBER Screw (Exterior Grade) Structural Wood-to-Wood Connections Including Ledgers
A flier providing features, benefits and Canadian limit states load tables for the Strong-Drive® SDWS Timber screw.
Strong-Drive® Structural Wood Screws for Interior and Exterior Fastening Applications
A flier providing features, benefits and Canadian limit states load tables for the Strong-Drive® SDWS Timber and SDWH Timber-Hex screws.
Do Your Decks Meet Code?
A tearpad showing deck connections on one side and patio cover system connections on the other.
A Complete Connector System for Building Decks
A tearpad for Canada showing on one side the hardware needed for a deck system, and on the other side the hardware needed for a patio cover system.
Un système de connexion complet pour la construction de terrasses
Un étui à deux faces pour le Canada présentant le matériel nécessaire pour un système de terrasse et un système d’abri de terrasse. Des recommandations de produits plus récentes sont incluses.
Connection Solutions to Meet the DCA6 Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide
A technical bulletin providing Simpson Strong-Tie connector, fastener and anchor solutions to meet the DCA6 provisions of the 2015 IRC for single-level, residential wood decks.
Guard Post, Guard Rail and Baluster Installations Using Strong-Drive® Structural Fasteners
A technical bulletin providing information on how guard posts, rails and balusters are installed using fasteners.
Alternate Fasteners for Connection Details in AWC DCA6 with Strong-Drive® Screws
This letter includes details of fastener connections designed and analyzed for use as alternates to those included in DCA6 subject to approval by the local building department.
Fasteners for Code Compliant Deck Ledgers
2009/2012 IRC Compliant Spacing for a Sawn Lumber Deck Ledger to Band Joist with 100 PSF Live Load and 10 PSF Dead Load.
Lag Screw Alternative Strong-Drive® Fasteners for Single Shear Connection Applications
This letter presents Strong-Drive® structural screws that make suitable alternatives to lag screws in typical wood-to-wood fastening applications.
Simpson Strong-Tie® Strong-Drive® SDWS TIMBER Screw Ledger Attachment for Top-of-Wall Alignment
SDWS22500DB has been tested for use in attaching a ledger to minimum 2x4 wall framing when the ledger is flush with the top-of-wall plates and installed in a manner detailed in this letter.
MASA/MASAP Alternate Strong-Drive® SDWS Timber Screw Installation
This letter details the alternative MASA/MASAP installation using SDWS screws — with two legs up on a 2x4 vertical rim board or blocking over a 2x or 3x sill plate.
Product Information Table
|Model No.||Coating/Material||Length (in.)||Head Diameter (in.)||Shank Diameter (in.)||Drive Type||Head Type||Thread Length||Point Type||Packaging Qty.|
|SDWS221000DB||Double-Barrier Coating||10||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/4||SawTooth® Point||250|
|SDWS221000DB-R12||Double-Barrier Coating||10||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/4||SawTooth® Point||12|
|SDWS221000DB-R50||Double-Barrier Coating||10||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/4||SawTooth® Point||50|
|SDWS221000DB-RP1||Double-Barrier Coating||10||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/4||SawTooth® Point||1|
|SDWS22300DB||Double-Barrier Coating||3||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||1 1/2||SawTooth® Point||950|
|SDWS22300DBMB||Double-Barrier Coating||3||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||1 1/2||SawTooth® Point||250|
|SDWS22300DB-R12||Double-Barrier Coating||3||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||1 1/2||SawTooth® Point||12|
|SDWS22300DB-R50||Double-Barrier Coating||3||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||1 1/2||SawTooth® Point||50|
|SDWS22300DB-RP1||Double-Barrier Coating||3||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||1 1/2||SawTooth® Point||1|
|SDWS22400DB||Double-Barrier Coating||4||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/8||SawTooth® Point||600|
|SDWS22400DBMB||Double-Barrier Coating||4||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/8||SawTooth® Point||250|
|SDWS22400DB-R12||Double-Barrier Coating||4||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/8||SawTooth® Point||12|
|SDWS22400DB-R50||Double-Barrier Coating||4||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/8||SawTooth® Point||50|
|SDWS22400DB-RP1||Double-Barrier Coating||4||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/8||SawTooth® Point||1|
|SDWS22500DB||Double-Barrier Coating||5||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/4||SawTooth® Point||600|
|SDWS22500DBMB||Double-Barrier Coating||5||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/4||SawTooth® Point||250|
|SDWS22500DB-R12||Double-Barrier Coating||5||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/4||SawTooth® Point||12|
|SDWS22500DB-R50||Double-Barrier Coating||5||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/4||SawTooth® Point||50|
|SDWS22500DB-RP1||Double-Barrier Coating||5||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/4||SawTooth® Point||1|
|SDWS22600DB||Double-Barrier Coating||6||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/4||SawTooth® Point||500|
|SDWS22600DBMB||Double-Barrier Coating||6||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/4||SawTooth® Point||250|
|SDWS22600DB-R12||Double-Barrier Coating||6||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/4||SawTooth® Point||12|
|SDWS22600DB-R50||Double-Barrier Coating||6||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/4||SawTooth® Point||50|
|SDWS22600DB-RP1||Double-Barrier Coating||6||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/4||SawTooth® Point||1|
|SDWS22800DB||Double-Barrier Coating||8||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/4||SawTooth® Point||400|
|SDWS22800DBMB||Double-Barrier Coating||8||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/4||SawTooth® Point||250|
|SDWS22800DB-R12||Double-Barrier Coating||8||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/4||SawTooth® Point||12|
|SDWS22800DB-R50||Double-Barrier Coating||8||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/4||SawTooth® Point||50|
|SDWS22800DB-RP1||Double-Barrier Coating||8||0.750||0.220||T40 6-Lobe||Washer Head||2 3/4||SawTooth® Point||1|
Product Information Table
|Model No.||Length (in.)||Drive Type||Head Diameter (in.)||Head Type||Thread Length||Shank Diameter (in.)||Coating/Material||Packaging Quantity|
|SDWS221000DB||10||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||2 3/4||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||250|
|SDWS221000DB-R50||10||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||2 3/4||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||50|
|SDWS221000DBRC12||10||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||2 3/4||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||12|
|SDWS22300DB||3||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||1 1/2||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||950|
|SDWS22300DBMB||3||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||1 1/2||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||250|
|SDWS22300DB-R50||3||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||1 1/2||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||50|
|SDWS22300DB-RC12||3||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||1 1/2||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||12|
|SDWS22400DB||4||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||2 3/8||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||600|
|SDWS22400DBMB||4||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||2 3/8||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||250|
|SDWS22400DB-R50||4||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||2 3/8||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||50|
|SDWS22400DB-RC12||4||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||2 3/8||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||12|
|SDWS22500DB||5||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||2 3/4||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||600|
|SDWS22500DBMB||5||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||2 3/4||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||250|
|SDWS22500DB-R50||5||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||2 3/4||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||50|
|SDWS22500DB-RC12||5||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||2 3/4||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||12|
|SDWS22600DB||6||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||2 3/4||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||500|
|SDWS22600DBMB||6||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||2 3/4||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||250|
|SDWS22600DB-R50||6||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||2 3/4||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||50|
|SDWS22600DB-RC12||6||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||2 3/4||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||12|
|SDWS22800DB||8||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||2 3/4||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||400|
|SDWS22800DBMB||8||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||2 3/4||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||250|
|SDWS22800DB-R50||8||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||2 3/4||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||50|
|SDWS22800DB-RC12||8||T-40 6-Lobe||0.75||Low Profile Head||2 3/4||0.220||Double-Barrier Coating||12|
|These coated fasteners possess a level of corrosion resistance that makes them suitable for use in some exterior and corrosive environments and with some preservative-treated woods. For applications in higher-exposure applications, consider type-300 series stainless-steel fasteners for superior corrosion resistance. See additional important information before selecting a fastener for a specific application.|
SDWS Timber Screw (Exterior Grade) — Allowable Shear Loads — Douglas Fir–Larch and Southern Pine Lumber
See footnotes below.
SDWS Timber Screw (Exterior Grade) — Allowable Shear Loads — Spruce-Pine-Fir and Hem-Fir Lumber
- All applications are based on full penetration into the main member. Full penetration is the screw length minus the side member thickness.
- Allowable loads are shown at the wood load duration factor of CD = 1.0. Loads may be increased for load duration per the building code up to a CD = 1.6. Tabulated values must be multiplied by all applicable adjustment factors per the NDS.
- For minimum fastener spacing requirements for both side and main members, see the Spacing Requirements Figure and Table below.
- For in-service moisture content greater than 19%, use CM = 0.7.
- Loads are based on installation into the side grain of the wood with the screw axis perpendicular to the face of the member.
SDWS Timber Screw (Exterior Grade) Spacing Requirements
- For axial loading only, use the following minimum dimensions: end distance = 3 1/4", edge distance = 1 3/8", spacing parallel to grain = 2 1/4", spacing perpendicular to grain = 1 3/8".
SDWS Timber Screw (Exterior Grade) — Reference Allowable Withdrawal Loads — Douglas Fir–Larch, Southern Pine, Spruce-Pine-Fir and Hem-Fir Lumber
- The tabulated reference withdrawal design value, W, is in pounds per inch of the thread penetration into the side grain of the main member.
- The tabulated reference withdrawal design value, WMax, is in pounds where the entire thread length must penetrate into the side grain of the main member.
- The tabulated reference withdrawal design values, W and Wmax, are shown at a CD = 1.6. For end-grain withdrawal, Ceg = 0.65. Tabulated values must be multiplied by all applicable adjustment factors from the NDS as referenced in the IBC or IRC.
- Embedded thread length is that portion held in the main member including the screw tip.
- Values are based on the lesser of withdrawal from the main member or pull-through of a 1 1/2" side member.
- For in-service moisture content greater than 19%, use CM = 0.7.
SDWS Timber Screw (Exterior Grade) — 2021 and 2018 IRC Compliant Spacing for a Sawn Lumber Ledger to Rim Board with One or Two Layers of 5/8" Gypsum Board
- Sawn rim board shall be spruce-pine-fir, hem-fir, Douglas fir-larch, or southern pine species. Ledger shall be hem-fir, Douglas fir-larch, or southern pine species.
- Fastener spacings are based on the lesser of single fastener ICC-ES AC233 testing of the Strong-Drive SDWS screw with a safety factor of 5.0 or ledger assembly testing based on ICC-ES AC13 with a factor of safety of 5.0. Spacing does not include NDS wet service factor adjustment.
- Multiple ledger plies shall be fastened together per code independent of the SDWS screws.
- SDWS screw spacing values are equivalent to 2021 /2018 IRC Table R507.9.1.3(1) and 2012 /2015 IRC Table R507.2. The table also provides SDWS screw spacing for a wider range of materials commonly used for rim boards, and an alternate loading condition as required by some jurisdictions.
- Screws shall be placed 1.5" to 2" from the top and bottom of the ledger or rim board with 3" minimum and 6" maximum vertical distance between fasteners with horizontal on-center spacing per the table. End screws shall be located 6" from the end and at 1.5" to 2" from the bottom of the ledger. For screws located at least 2" but less than 6" from the end, use 50% of the load per screw and 50% of the table spacing between the end screw and the adjacent screw, and for screws located between 2" and 4" from the end, predrill using a 5/32" drill bit.
- The design installation permits a wood structural panel (WSP) interlayer in addition to one or two layers of gypsum board. If present, the WSP shall be a maximum of 1/2" thick, adjacent to the framing and fastened directly to the framing per the code.
- Gypsum board must be attached as required per the building code.
- Visit the Drawing Finder for additional ledger fastening detail sheets and load tables in DWG, PDF or DXF format.
See the Fastening Systems Technical Guide and refer to the Alphabetical Index for additional load tables, technical data and installation instructions for the Strong-Drive® SDWS Timber screw.
Code Reports & Compliance