Strong-Drive® PPHD SHEATHING-TO-CFS Screw
On This Page
The Strong-Drive PPHD Sheathing-to-CFS screw is designed to drive through sheathing materials and into cold-formed steel (CFS) using its long #5 drill point. The Strong-Drive PPHD Sheathing-to-CFS screw comes in bulk for hand drive applications and collated for use in Quik Drive auto-feed screw driving systems.
- 6-lobe drive (driver bit in each box; use replacement bit model BIT25T-2-R2)
- Fine threads
- Pilot point
- Quik Guard® and yellow zinc coating
- PPHD screws may be used as prescribed by the codes for shearwalls and diaphragms as described in AISI S240, AISI S400 and AISI S213
- Designed for use in dry service, low-corrosion environments and some fire-rated sheathing
- Fastening wood structural panels and other building materials to cold-formed steel framing.
- #8 — maximum thickness two layers of 18 ga. (0.100" total)
- #10 and #12 — maximum thickness two layers of 12 ga. (0.218" total)
- Recommended maximum wood panel sheathing thickness are as follows: #8 x 1 15/16" — 7/8"; #10 x 1 3/4" — 19/32"; #10 x 3" — 7/8"; #12 — 19/32"
- Industry studies show that hardened fasteners can experience performance problems in wet or corrosive environments. Accordingly, use this product in dry, interior, and noncorrosive environments only.
- Fastening Systems Technical and Installation Notes
- Strong-Drive PPHD Sheathing-to-CFS Screw also available collated for the Quik Drive® system
- Driver Bits
- Fastener Product Information: C-F-2023 (Fastening Systems), page 118
- Fastener Technical Data and Loads: C-F-2023TECHSUP, page 214 and pages 218–219
Fastening Systems Catalog
A catalog including new product information as well as any applicable specification and installation instructions for Simpson Strong-Tie® fasteners and Quik Drive® systems.
Fastening Systems Technical Guide
A technical document featuring engineering information for structural fasteners featured in the C-F-2023 Fastening Systems Catalog.
Product Information Table
|Model No.||Coating/Material||Screw Size||Length (in.)||Head Diameter (in.)||Drive Type||Head Type||Thread Type||TPI||Max. Grip Length (in.)||Point Type||Point Size||Packaging Qty.|
|PPHDQ11516B-4K||Quik Guard® Coating||#8||1 15/16||0.323||T25 6-Lobe||Flat Head||Buttress Threads||17||1.034||Pilot Point||5||4000|
|PPHDQ134B1016-4K||Quik Guard® Coating||#10||1 3/4||0.323||T25 6-Lobe||Flat Head||Fine Threads||16||0.793||Pilot Point||5||4000|
|PPHDQ134B1214-4K||Quik Guard® Coating||#12||1 3/4||0.460||T25 6-Lobe||Flat Head with Nibs||Fine Threads||14||0.766||Pilot Point||5||4000|
|PPHD11516B-4K||Yellow-Zinc Coated||#8||1 15/16||0.323||T25 6-Lobe||Flat Head||Buttress Threads||17||1.034||Pilot Point||5||4000|
|PPHD134B1016-4K||Yellow-Zinc Coated||#10||1 3/4||0.323||T25 6-Lobe||Flat Head||Fine Threads||16||0.793||Pilot Point||5||4000|
PPHD — Pullout Loads — Steel Connections
|Model No.||Size||Load Description||Pullout (lb.)|
|Steel Thickness: mil (ga.)|
|#8||Allowable Strength (ASD)||60||85||135||195||—||—|
|Design Strength (LRFD)||100||140||220||315||—||—|
|#10||Allowable Strength (ASD)||60||85||140||205||310||440|
|Design Strength (LRFD)||100||140||220||330||500||700|
|PPHDQ134||#12||Allowable Strength (ASD)||65||85||140||210||335||475|
|Design Strength (LRFD)||105||140||225||335||540||760|
- Screws and connections have been tested per AISI Standard Methods S904-13 and S905-13.
- Values are based on cold-formed steel (CFS) members with a minimum yield strength, Fy of 33 ksi and minimum tensile strength, Fu of 45 ksi for 43 mil (18 ga.) to 27 mil (22 ga.), and a minimum yield strength, Fy of 50 ksi and minimum tensile strength, Fu of 65 ksi for 54 mil (16 ga.) to 97 mil (12 ga.).
- For design purposes, steel-sheet thicknesses are 0.0283" for 27 mil (22 ga.), 0.0346" for 33 mil (20 ga.), 0.0451" for 43 mil (18 ga.), 0.0566" for 54 mil (16 ga.), 0.0713" for 68 mil (14 ga.) and 0.1017" for 97 mil (12 ga.). The actual sheet thickness shall not be less than 95% of these design thicknesses as specified in AISI S100-12.
- A minimum of three exposed screw threads are required to achieve the loads in the table.
- PPHDQxxx models have Quik Guard® coating; PPHDxxx models have yellow zinc coating.
PPHD — Pull-Through Loads — Rated Sheathing Panels
|Model No.||Size||Load Description||Reference Pull-Through Loads (lb.)|
|Minimum Nominal Panel Thickness (in.)|
- The tabulated values are based on testing per AC233.
- ASD pull-through loads based on a factor of safety of five applied to the nominal strength value (CD = 1.0, increases to CD = 1.6 allowed where applicable).
- LRFD load based on adjustment of ASD load per NDS 2018, Appendix N using KF = 3.32, φζ = 0.65, and λ = 1.0.
- PPHDQxxx models have Quik Guard coating; PPHDxxx models have yellow zinc coating.
Code Reports & Compliance