GLS Glulam Saddle Hanger
On This Page
The GLS is designed to accommodate high allowable loads for timber and glulam beams. This glulam hanger features a saddle design that eliminates the need for back-to-back hanger installation, while the Funnel Flange™ feature allows for easy installation of beams. The GLS installs with heavy N54 ring-shank nails specifically created for glulam or heavy timber.
- N54 ring-shank nails included
- A cost-effective alternative to using two hangers
- Not acceptable for nailer applications
- 3 ga. top flange; 7 ga. stirrup
- Simpson Strong-Tie gray paint. Hot-dip galvanized is available; specify HDG.
- Use all specified fasteners. Verify that the header can take the required fasteners specified in the table.
- For attaching to multi-ply headers, refer to technical bulletin Top-Flange Hanger Reductions for Multiple-Ply Headers (T-C-MPLYHEADR).
- Flatten edge of header to match top-flange radius.
- Bevel-cut the carried beam for skewed hangers.
- For hangers exceeding the joist height by more than 1/2", allowable load is 50% of the table load.
- May be used for weld-on applications. Minimum required weld is a 1/4" x 2 1/2" fillet weld at each end of the top flange; see General Instructions for the Installer, note k, for weld information. Weld-on applications produce maximum loads listed. For uplift loads, refer to technical bulletin Top-Flange Hangers Welded to Structural Steel Members (T-C-WELDUPLFT).
- N54A nails are included. N54A nails should only be used with solid sawn, timber or glulam headers. When installing on structural composite lumber, use 1/4" x 2 1/2" Strong-Drive® SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screw in lieu of the N54A nails.
- Loads shown are per side.
- To order, specify H1, H2, W1, W2 and S dimensions (see illustration).
- Hot-dip galvanized; specify HDG.
- Seats may be skewed to a maximum of 50° and/or sloped to a maximum of 45°.
- When seat is sloped, the maximum allowable load is 6,550 lb.
- When seat is skewed, the maximum allowable load is 6,500 lb. The deflection at full loading may reach 1/4". For skews greater than 15°, multiply the table uplift load by 0.50.
- For sloped and skewed seat combinations, the maximum download is 5,500 lb. per supported member. The deflection at full loading may reach 1/4". For skews greater than 15", multiply the table uplift load by 0.50".
- Sloped or skewed seat hangers may not be installed in non-backed nailer/header installations.
- Top flange may be sloped down to the left or right as far as 30°. Reduce allowable loads using the following reduction factor based on linear interpolation: (90–α)/90, where α is the angle measure from the horizontal. This reduction is not cumulative with other load reductions.
- Top flange may be offset left or right for placement at the end of a header. Minimum seat width is 3 1/4". The maximum allowable load is 0.50. No uplift load is available.
- For skewed and offset or skewed only top-flange hangers with inward or outward configuration, the maximum allowable load is the lesser of (a) 45% of the catalog load or (b) 3,500 lb.
Product Information Table
|Model No.||Hanger Dimensions (in.)|
|3-5||3 1/4||9||5 1/4|
|3-7*||3 1/4||9||6 7/8|
|5-5||5 1/4||9||5 1/4|
|5-7||5 1/4||9||6 7/8|
|5-9||5 1/4||9||8 7/8|
|5-11||5 1/4||9||10 7/8|
|7-7||6 7/8||12||6 7/8|
|7-9||6 7/8||12||8 7/8|
|7-11||6 7/8||12||10 7/8|
|3.6-3.6-SDS||3 5/8||9||3 5/8|
|3.6-5.3-SDS||3 5/8||9||5 3/8|
|5.3-5.3-SDS*||5 3/8||9||5 3/8|
|5.3-7.1-SDS||5 3/8||9||7 1/8|
|7.1-7.1-SDS||7 1/8||12||7 1/8|
- * Slope, skew and offset top flange not available.
|Model No.||Joist (in.)||Fasteners (in.)||Allowable Loads Header Type|
|GLS Series||3 1/4 — 7 1/8||8 1/2 — 28||(12) N54A||(12) N54A||2,265||8,620|
- Uplift loads have been increased for earthquake or wind loading with no further increase allowed. Reduce where other loads govern.
- Uplift loads apply only when "H" is 28" or less.
- For hanger heights exceeding the joist height, the allowable load is 0.50 of the table load.
- For SCL products made primarily from Douglas Fir or Southern Pine, use 1,640 lb. for uplift. For SPF members, use 1,115 lb. for uplift.
- GLS saddle hanger allowable loads are for each stirrup. Fasteners listed are total fasteners required.
- Fasteners: Nail dimensions in the table are listed diameter by length. For additional information, see Fastener Types and Sizes Specified for Simpson Strong-Tie Connectors.
Code Reports & Compliance