MSC Multiple-Seat Top-Flange Connector
On This Page
The MSC supports the ridge and two valleys for roof construction. Ideal for dormer roof applications.
- Top flange — 3 gauge; stirrups — 11 gauge (MSC2 and MSC1.81), 7 gauge (MSC4 and MSC5)
- Simpson Strong-Tie gray paint. HDG available; contact Simpson Strong-Tie.
- Distribute the total load evenly about the centerline to avoid eccentric loading
- Fasten all built-up members together as one unit
- Net height will be calculated based on specified valley member depth and slope by the factory unless noted otherwise
Sloped and/or Skewed Valleys
- The valley stirrups can be sloped down to 45° and skewed from 25° to 45°. (MSC5 skewed 20°–45°.)
- Reminder: Hip and valley slopes are typically much different than roof slopes. See the online Slope and Skew Calculator for assistance in computing slopes and skews.
- The total design load of the hanger is split between the ridge (20%) and each valley (40%).
- MSC connectors can be used for two valley connections with no ridge member. Divide the total load by two for each valley load.
- Hip/valley connections and many combinations of joist sizes, slopes and skews can be manufactured (refer to MSC Multiple Seat Connector Special Order Worksheet, T-MSC-WS).
These products are available with additional corrosion protection.
- Valley loads are for each valley.
- Other valley-ridge load distributions are allowed, provided the load sum of all three carried members is distributed symmetrically about the center of the hanger and combined does not exceed the total load.
- MSC4 is also available in 3 1/8" glulam width.
- MSC5 is also available in widths up to 5 1/2". W2 minimum width is 3 1/8".
- MSC4 is also available in widths down to 1 9/16". Use 0.148" x 1 1/2" nails and MSC2 allowable loads.
- Refer to technical bulletin T-C-MSC-WS for the hip/valley rafter roof pitch conversion table.
- Fasteners: Nail dimensions in the table are listed diameter by length. For additional information, see Fastener Types and Sizes Specified for Simpson Strong-Tie Connectors.
Code Reports & Compliance