JB/JBA/LB/LBAZ/BA/B/HHB Joist, Beam and Purlin Hangers
The LBAZ and JBA hangers provide higher loads for 2x10, 2x12 and 2x14 members in 14-gauge and 18-gauge steel, respectively. The new nail locations on the JBA enable effective use with nailers.
The B and BA hangers are cost-effective hangers featuring min./max. joist-nailing options. Min Nailing featuring Positive Angle Nailing targets moderate load conditions whereas the Max. Nailing generates capacities for higher loads. The unique two-level embossment provides added stiffness to the top flange. See tables. See Hanger Options for hanger modifications, which may result in reduced loads.
- See tables. For modified hangers, gauge may increase from that specified for non-modified hangers. Hanger configurations, height and fastener quantity may increase from the tables depending on joist size, skew and slope.
- BA, JB, JBA, LB, LBAZ and B — galvanized; HHB — all saddle hangers and all welded sloped and special hangers — Simpson Strong-Tie® gray paint. BA, LB, B and HHB may be ordered hot-dip galvanized; specify HDG.
- Use specified fasteners; see General Notes and nailer table notes.
- LBAZ, BA, B and HHB may be welded to steel headers with weld size to match material thickness (approximate thickness shown). The minimum required weld to the top flanges is 1/8" x 2" (1/8" x 1 7/16" for LBAZ) fillet weld to each side of each top flange tab for 14 and 12 gauge and 3/16" x 2" fillet weld to each side of each top flange tab for 7 gauge. Distribute the weld equally on both top flanges. Welding cancels the top and face nailing requirements. Consult the code for special considerations when welding galvanized steel. The area should be well-ventilated (see General Instructions for the Installer, note m for welding information). Weld on applications produce the maximum allowable down load listed. For uplift loads refer to technical bulletin Top-Flange Hangers Welded to Structural Steel Members (T-WELDUPLFT).
- Ledgers must be evaluated for each application separately. Check TF dimension, nail length and nail location on ledger.
- Refer to technical bulletin Sloped Joist in Non-Sloped Hangers (T-SLOPEJST) for information regarding load reductions on selected hangers which can be used without modification to support joists which have shallow slopes (≤3/4:12).
- For attaching to headers made up of multiple 2xs, refer to technical bulletin Top-Flange Hanger Reductions For Multiple-Ply Headers (T-C-MPLYHEADR).
- For modified hangers, fastener quantity may increase from the tables depending on joist size, skew and slope.
- Bevel cut the carried member for skewed applications.
- See modification tables for allowed options and associated load reductions
Conectores para la construcción en madera 2017–2018C-C-2017SPInformación completa de productos, de la aplicación, de las tablas de cargas y de la instalación, para más de 3,000 conectores de madera a madera, madera a concreto y concreto a mampostería.Catalog
LBV/B/HB Hanger Special Order WorksheetT-LBV-B-HB-WS06This editable PDF worksheet simplifies the ordering of special order LBV, B and HB hangers.Worksheet
Allowable Loads for Top-Flange Joist Hangers Installed on NailersT-C-NAILUPLFT16A one-page, double-sided technical bulletin including allowable load and installation information for many common top-flange joist hangers installed on wood nailers.Technical Bulletin
Sloped Joist in Non-Sloped HangersT-C-SLOPEJST17A one-page technical bulletin discussing the performance of non-sloped hangers used to support a sloped joist. It includes reduction factors for B, ITS, HU and welded-series hangers.Technical Bulletin
The Complete Line of BA, LBV, B and HB HangersT-C-BSERIES15Contains our full line of B-series hangers for solid-sawn and engineered-wood products. Explains the modifications available for the series and load reduction factors.Technical Bulletin
Top-Flange Hanger Reductions For Multiple-Ply HeadersT-C-MPLYHEADR16A one-page flier discussing reduction factors for top-flange hangers installed on multi-ply headers.Technical Bulletin
Top-Flange Joist Hangers Installed On Walls Over Wood Structural Panel Sheathing or DrywallT-C-TFWALL16A two-page technical bulletin providing allowable loads for top-flange joist hangers installed on walls, either over wood structural panel sheathing or over gypsum board.Technical Bulletin
Top-Flange Hangers Welded to Structural Steel MembersT-C-WELDUPLFT16A one-page technical bulletin describing the welding requirements and restrictions for attaching Simpson Strong-Tie top-flange hangers to structural steel hangers.Technical Bulletin
Show 6 MoreShow Less
B Series With Various Header Applications
- Uplift loads are based on DF/SP lumber and have been increased for wind or earthquake loading with no further increase allowed. Reduce where other loads govern.
- For SPF use 0.86 x DF/SP uplift load.
- Where noted for single-ply joist hangers use (6) 10d x 1 1/2" nails.
- Nails: 16d = 0.162" dia. x 3 1/2" long, 10d = 0.148" dia. x 3" long, 10d x 1 1/2" = 0.148" dia. x 1 1/2" long.
See other nail sizes and information.
- Uplift values are for DF/SP nailers only. Refer to technical bulletin T-C-NAILERUPLFT for SPF values.
- For joist members 2 1/2" or wider, 16d x 2 1/2" joist nails should be installed for additional uplift loads on the 3x and 4x nailer applications of 970 lbs. and 1010 lbs. respectively.
- If joist nailing is increased to (8) 10d x 1 1/2", higher uplift loads are allowed. See technical bulletin T-C-NAILUPLFT.
- If joist nailing is increased to (6) 16d x 2 1/2", higher uplift loads are allowed for joist members at least 2 1/2" wide. See technical bulletin T-C-NAILUPLFT.
- Attachment of nailer to supporting member is by the Designer.
B Series Modifications and Associated Load Reductions
- Reduction factors are not cumulative. Use the lowest factor that applies.
Reduction Factor Instructions
Allowable Download = Lower of (Seat or Top Flange) x (Table Load)
= 0.90 x (Table Load) for B with W < 2 1/2"
= 0.71 x (Table Load) for HB with W < 2 1/2"
= 1.00 x (Table Load) for all others
B hanger sloped down and skewed left with sloped top flange installation.
When ordering, specify low side flush, center flush or high side flush.