MSC Multiple Seat Connector
The MSC supports the ridge and two valleys for roof construction. Ideal for dormer roof applications.
- Top flange — 3 gauge; stirrups — 11 gauge (MSC2 and MSC1.81), 7 gauge (MSC4 and MSC5)
- Simpson Strong-Tie® gray paint. HDG available; contact Simpson Strong-Tie.
- Distribute the total load evenly about the centerline to avoid eccentric loading
- Fasten all built-up members together as one unit
- Net height will be calculated based on specified valley member depth and slope by the factory unless noted otherwise
Sloped and/or Skewed Valleys
- The valley stirrups can be sloped down to 45° and skewed from 25° to 45°. (MSC5 skewed 20°-45°.)
- The total design load of the hanger is split between the ridge (20%) and each valley (40%).
- MSC connectors can be used for two valley connections with no ridge member. Divide the total load by two for each valley load.
- Many combinations of joist sizes, slopes and skews can be manufactured (refer to MSC Multiple Seat Connector Special Order Worksheet, T-MSC-WS).
These products are available with additional corrosion protection. Additional products on this page may also be available with this option, check with Simpson Strong-Tie for details.
- Valley loads are for each valley.
- Other valley-ridge load distributions are allowed provided the sum of all three carried members is distributed symmetrically about the center of the hanger and combined do not exceed the total load.
- MSC4 is also available in 3 1/8" glulam width.
- MSC5 is also available in widths up to 5 1/2". W2 minimum width is 3 1/8".
- MSC4 is also available in widths down to 1 9/16". Use 10d x 1 1/2" nails and MSC2 allowable loads.
- Refer to technical bulletin T-MSC-WS for the hip valley rafter pitch conversion table.
- NAILS: 16d = 0.162" dia. x 3 1/2" long, 10d = 0.148" dia. x 3" long, 10d x 1 1/2" = 0.148" dia. x 1 1/2" long.
See other nail sizes and information.