Strong-Wall Site-Built Portal Frame System
The code-listed Strong-Wall site-built portal frame system (PFS) provides designers, builders and contractors in prescriptive markets with an easy way to meet coderequired wall-bracing requirements with narrow wall widths. Simple and quick to install, the PFS is a cost-effective alternative to IRC braced-wall solutions.
- Code-Listed — ICC-ES ESR-4455, evaluated to the 2018, 2015, 2012 and 2009 International Residential Code (IRC).
- Narrow wall width — 10" or 12" nominal column sizes allow builders to maintain narrow return walls at garage openings and allow designers to maximize portal openings in standard wall framing, such as for large picture windows or sliding glass doors.
- Easy to assemble — saves time for the installer and increases the confidence of the specifier that it will be installed properly.
- Cost effective — site-built portal frames are less expensive than prefabricated shearwalls or moment frames.
- Equivalent wall length — designers need as much equivalent wall length as possible to economically design structures.
The PFS single-wall portal frame kit provides all the necessary hardware to build a single-wall portal frame system to meet code-required wall-bracing requirements with narrow wall widths.
Design and Technical Resources
Calculate the required length of wall bracing to resist prescriptive lateral loads in accordance with the International Residential Code.
Identify prescriptive and pre-engineered solutions to site-build shearwalls, allowing designers to quickly select space-efficient panels.
The PFS is designed for quick, accurate installation and meets wall bracing requirements in narrow spaces without sacrificing strength. To learn more, view our installation video.